Leak thru tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a damp patch on the top of the ceiling boards under my shower tray. :(
The plumbing is sound so I suspect the water is leaking through the tile grout. Is this normal as I thought grout was supposed to be waterproof :?:

Sponsored Links
Depends on whether or not it is waterproof grout! Not all grout is. Unfortunately I don't know how you tell what you've got, other than the fact the it seems to allow water ingress, sorry I'm no help whatsoever :(

I think the misconception is between water resistant and waterproof. Most grout has the warning not suitable constant immersion. Obviously for place like swimming pools this would be useless, the problem arises as to whether or not you regard a shower as an area of constant immersion, for my money, I'd splash out the extra money, and buy acrylic waterproof grout for a shower area. Unfortuately that still doesn't answer the question of what grout you have.

Sponsored Links
I have regrouted with Unibond grout so should eliminate problem :)
Hope for the best.
Thanks ;)

Keep me posted, would be interested to know how you get on. Best of British !!

Is it a power shower, not all grouts are suitable, I allways use BAL superflex in shower cubicles.

Jason

Jason
Its a mixer shower straight off the combi.
I have regrouted using Unibond (top brand?) and have used a sanitary sealant that tilers use.
Just had a shower and going to check later so will report back if this has done the trick. :p
Thanks to all for your advice ;)

Just checked and...... :cry: damp patch on towel placed underneath one shower wall. :evil:
It can't be the silicone seal as it is perfect and the grout looks solid too so I am stumped.
I am going to get my son to have a shower while I go round the other side with a torch and see where it is coming from :eek:

What are the tiles made of? I preume they are glazed ceramics ?

Is it the wall with the pipework in it?

Is it the wall by the waste/trap/waste pipe?

I have also seen them crack around the waste (acrylic tray)

Jason

The tiles are glazed ceramics and is the wall with the pipework in it.
I am a plumber (when I can eventually go back to work) and the pipework has no leaks.
The trap is on the opposite side to the leaking wall and has been checked as has the waste run and are sound.
I know the water has to be coming from the shower cubicle but HOW? :evil:

Is the screen sealed OK? Should usually be sealed on the outside not inside.

Is this a new shower or an old one that has started to leak

If the damp is showing on the ceiling below it may be traveling some distance until it finds something like a joint in the plasterboard that just happens to be under the wall

If you have a head on a hose try wetting the area at the base of the wall and working slowly upwards with someone watching for the leak, this should help to pinpoint the leak.

Jason

Jason
The shower and cubicle are a new installation.
I have aimed the shower head at the walls and found it seems to be dripping from the corners of the cubicle on the same wall.
I have sealed both corners now and will try it again tomorrow.
Watch this space :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back