Leaking bath tap - unable to unscrew handle screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The hot tap on my bath has started leaking quite severely.

Done a fair bit of research and looks like the washer just needs replacing.

My problem is that, after removing the handle cap, when I uncover the screw the thread has completely been eroded. Tried normal phillips, electric screwdriver, but nothing will move it.

Is there anything I can do? Or will I just need to replace the whole tap?

Really keen to avoid if possible!

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• 20170129_115336.jpg
    20170129_115336.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 20170129_115347.jpg
    20170129_115347.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 214
Sponsored Links
You don't have to remove the handle, you can get to the washer by undoing the whole valve using the flats behind the handle.

There's loads of techniques for removing such things but early all impossible to describe as it's an experience thing!
if you really want it off, you could try a strong flat terminal driver in the cross-head and tap it on the end with a hammer, as you apply torque CCW... just a little trick to try first!

Sponsored Links
Very true.

:sneaky: You know this!

Op: first thing you should do is get the limescale remover out and clean the whole thing up, it'll be a lot easier to get the valve body out and will make it all look almost like new :cool:
I find that sort of thing quite therapeutic and it gets lots of 'wows' out of customers :D

You don't have to remove the handle, you can get to the washer by undoing the whole valve using the flats behind the handle.

Thanks Picasso. I've taken the whole thing apart, replaced every washer on each of the hexnuts, and put it back together. Still running out of the hot tap when the taps are turned off!

Any ideas?

The seat might be damaged any chance of a pic of the washers you changed and inside the tap.

Is it leaking out the tap itself or dripping out the spout? You'll probably need to replace the washer at the bottom of the valve @strondy, the valve on the left of the picture should look like yours, the thick washer on the bottom either just pops off or loosen a small screw/nut from the brass piece (the jumper) and the new one goes on the reverse of removing. Chances are the tap will need serviced too, stripped down and cleaned then lubricated.

valve2better252.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back