Leaking Kitchen Window: Drainage Holes?

sva

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6C9EBC3F-5EB0-4924-AF84-C7E2D0ACFE74.jpeg 7FEE8B02-3774-40A0-92BE-850339132FFF.jpeg

Hi

Our kitchen window has leaked since we moved in, the previous owners tried to fix it by outing sillicone everywhere.

Last year we got a window man out and he redid all the seals but said it might be an issue with the render.

With the recent bad weather the leak is back, I woke up this morning to the indoor sill completely covered in water.

On the attached pictures I’ve circled in red where we can see the water coming in, it comes through in in little beads.

I think it might be an issue with the drainage holes. On the section marked blue I can see the drainage holes and have tested them and they’re not blocked as the water comes straight out under the window frame on to the sill outside (circled blue)

However I can find any holes or exit point for the other side. Should there be?

Sponsored Links
If the water is coming in at the internal bead corners it can't possibly be the external render!. Water is getting around the sealed unit. Now, I see you circled one drain hole outside but there should be on under the fixed pane too. My feeling is, seeing as it happens in bad weather, you need to remove the fixed pane and drill a couple of holes in the top , not all the way through but the same angle and positions as the drainage in the bottom of the frame. This will equalise the pressure created in the frame in bad weather and should allow the frame to drain correctly. Failing that remove all bar the top bead, dry it off, and then put a Bead of silicone around the bottom and about half up the sides of the frame, don't completely fill the gap up, it needs to be enough to stop the water from being able to come in contact with the bead. Once done refit the beads

Hard to say without looking in person. My first step would be to take the glass out to check for anything blocking the drainage holes and make sure the ones on that side are clear/flowing freely.
Did your window guy take the glass out?

Also might be worth putting a level on the frame to make sure its not leaning in at the top, This can cause drainage problems too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back