Leaking sink waste

Good stuff ... sorted ... (y)

As long as all the solvent welded pipe is secure and doesn't move about and the rest of it is nicely nipped up then is should stay there, that's the reason for getting McAlpine. That extending piece shouldn't move as long as it's nice and firm.

I would have maybe come straight out of the trap to the back corner (a little more out of the shelf) then straight down to the corner outflow and avoid the extra elbow but that's just me. ;) and maybe lift that spigot up a bit to try and avoid any backflow from the sinks

Sponsored Links
lol...snap ....

Cut a bit more out of the back panel to allow the drain hose to be lifted higher to give you as much loop over as possible

Well done.
In all of this we forgot to mention that all compression fitting are hand tight, no tools must be used.
Good thing you worked it out yourself.

Well done OP.
Good practice is to run hot water down the pipework and give each compression joint a further nip by hand, while they're warm, as they will expand and can often take a bit more of a nip.

Sponsored Links
Playing Devil's advocate here .........the grey waste looks like a Spazio waste that I got with a Franke sink once - badly installed.

Playing Devil's advocate here .........the grey waste looks like a Spazio waste that I got with a Franke sink once - badly installed.
I agree its down to the fitting,Ive installed this franke waste system in two properties, both on their 2 1/2 bowl units and not had a sign of a leak and they can be to look neat too. The only downside is they can get a bit whiffy if not kept clean.
IMG_20201229_154532924.jpg IMG_20201229_154210383.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201229_154532924.jpg
    IMG_20201229_154532924.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I agree its down to the fitting,Ive installed this franke waste system in two properties, both on their 2 1/2 bowl units and not had a sign of a leak and they can be to look neat too. The only downside is they can get a bit whiffy if not kept clean.
View attachment 216209 View attachment 216210

Its all about the install!
Cant have the pop up wastes if you dont use the Franke kit either.

@Nige F is it really called Spazio or is that your politically incorrect term for the kit? :ROFLMAO:;)

Its all about the install!
Cant have the pop up wastes if you dont use the Franke kit either.

@Nige F is it really called Spazio or is that your politically incorrect term for the kit? :ROFLMAO:;)
That grey stuff doesn't pass the test of time.
Mcalpine fittings and solvent weld pipes I ever fitted have not leaked once.
The grey rubbish, plenty of leaks.

I had some grey stuff which I think was B&Q own brand, and which I’ve recently replaced with MacAlpine after one too many cases of the dishwater ending up in the bottom of the cupboard.

There were two issues with mine which caused the flood, but im unsure which one contributed to the other.

They were...

1. The bolt going through the top of the strainer No. 1 (left hand) had snapped away from body of the strainer.

2. The trap of strainer No. 2 had come away from the upright pipe where its normally held on by those black washers hence why I'm now paranoid about the one on the Mc Alpine.

As mentioned im unsure which way round they occurred, but the flood (and boy did it flood as it was a full sink!) was caused by No. 2 above, and then I noticed the strainer hanging down (see photos below
IMG_20201225_172120.jpg
IMG_20201225_172120.jpg
IMG_20201225_191448.jpg
IMG_20201225_172114.jpg

IMG_20201231_115513.jpg
IMG_20201231_115739.jpg
Right guys I've made two changes.

First one is I've turned the dishwasher spout upwards as much as I could (cut out as much of the back of the cabinet as I could.

Also I stuck some battening under that weakest point, the upright pipe leading to the strainer no. 2 on the right hand side thats only held on by one of those sliding washers, as that's where the last trap failed that ended up flooding my house!

Hopefully even if that joint failed, those pieces of battening hopefully would stop the pipe joint from opening up, because if the nut can't go down, then the joint can't open!
IMG_20201231_115739.jpg
IMG_20201231_115447.jpg

I doubt it will fail like the last one did but there's nothing wrong with your belt n braces approach (y)

Is there any slack in the dishwasher outlet hose?

If there is, try to get a loop of it up the gap to the side of the sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back