Leaking sink waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, firstly Merry Christmas to all and apologies for posting a Need Advice post on Christmas Day.

However.....

Purchased a new house this year and I've pretty much been flat out replacing things due to leaks in bathrooms etc since moving in.

Just spent the last few weeks before Christmas laying over 60 Sq Meters of laminate flooring (Balterio) in the kitchen /diner/living room area and getting it all finished in time for Christmas and this afternoon after having Christmas Dinner and washing up and pulling the plug out and WOOSH like a waterfall coming out from underneath the sink cabinet all pouring all over the new laminate flooring..... To say I'm REALLY ****ed off is an understatement......

The flooring is 12mm Balterio Fortissimo Fuji Oak and its supposed to be water resistant and is an AC5 grade but with the amount of water that came out and went over it will just have to wait and see if its knackered..... Although we did get as much soaked up as we could but obviously some would have got in underneath from underneath the kitchen cabinets that we couldn't get to in time as needed to take the plinths out....

So to get to the point of this post it looks like the pipes were cut too short during install and propped up with a piece of wood (a wooden block) and the block must have moved out of position and therefore the pipework dropped down and disconnected.

I'm OK with doing things like plumbing and electrics etc, done quite a bit over the years, but not qualified, and don't have much commercial knowledge of products available etc to sort a job, but once I have the stuff I can normally do the job.

My question here is this...

The photos below shows the white waste compression fittings mated with the grey fittings that I've never come across before? These look like there not compression fittings and instead are glued with that chemical cement stuff you can get?

Is there a way to replace all the grey piping with the white compression fittings? And if so what parts do I need?

And if I can replace it with compression fittings why didn't they use it in the first place? Must be a reason?

Attachments

• IMG_20201225_172114.jpg
    IMG_20201225_172114.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20201225_172120.jpg
    IMG_20201225_172120.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 317
Sponsored Links
Exactly this.
Whoever fitted the kitchen should've known to skip the grey rubbish waste that comes with those sinks.

Hi Andy /Johnny many thanks for your response especially on Christmas Day of all days.

Would you recommend replacing all that grey piping with the white compression fittings?

If you have a look bottom left where the grey joins with the white waste pipe, it has like a white double coupler? Will that size be compatible with the above Screwfix fitting? (sorry as mentioned I'm not clued up on the fitting types and compatibility).

Also above that is the dishwasher hose attachment will that also be compatible? (photo below).

Also am I correct in thinking that the screw going through the plug fitting from the sink top end (below photo) that threads into the part that mates up below the sink that should be enough to hold the waste up without having that bit of wood that was wedged under the u bend? As I think what's happened is due to two reasons, one that screw is no longer in the top plug part it's in the bottom bit under the sink (so that's failed?) and also the wood has come out from under the u bend that was wedged between the u bend and the cabinet came adrift...

What would you recommend I do to ensure no further leaking and failures as I'm concerned if the laminate survives this I don't want a repeat?

Attachments

• IMG_20201225_182841.jpg
    IMG_20201225_182841.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20201225_191448.jpg
    IMG_20201225_191448.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20201225_191452.jpg
    IMG_20201225_191452.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
Buy the trap Andy linked and these strainers

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stainless-steel-strainer-waste-1-2-bowl-90mm/7883k

I used them a lot and they're good.

Scrap all of the greys, including strainers.

Don't need any silicone, but if you really want to be over the top, a little fernox ls-x on the strainers washers will not do any damage.
Washing machine hose will ho on the dedicated fitting of the mcalpine trap.
You'll find instructions in the package.
Also YouTube videos, mcalpine website by googling the product code and of course here if you get stuck.

Fantastic many thanks guys will get these and start work after Christmas and may be back here asking you some questions! Much appreciated for your help and Merry Christmas :)

Regarding the laminate flooring, it's pretty resilient, and if you see it lifting slightly, don't be tempted to do anything.
Wait a few weeks until it dries properly and all should be ok.

Agree with Johnny, skip the grey trap they are useless. Skip the plumber as well he/she/or other doesn't seem to have much idea. Andys suggestion of McAlpine is the best way to go.

Ah, also don't need any wood holding pipes...

Hi Johnny just to confirm if the U Bend will still be above the bottom shelf with no support under it the bolt going through the strainer from above the sink into the thread in the lower section of the strainer will.be enough to hold the trap up without it pulling away again? This is the way they are normally anyway isn't it?

Hi Johnny just to confirm if the U Bend will still be above the bottom shelf with no support under it the bolt going through the strainer from above the sink into the thread in the lower section of the strainer will.be enough to hold the trap up without it pulling away again? This is the way they are normally anyway isn't it?

Yes this is right,

The compression fittings will hold it in place.

There will be some cutting required of the mcalpine pipes, this is normal as the kits are universal.

Just take it slow and double check everything before making the cut

The white strainers have a large 2 inch thread holding the whole lot, not just a filmsy rusty screw like the grey rubbish.
Also, looking at the pictures, you will need to cut some of that shelf immediately under the sink.
Looking at your configuration, the mcalpine trap shouldn't need any modification, straight on.
Two of the pipes are adjustable/telescopic, so you shouldn't need to cut anything.

One thing you will need is a good jubilee clip for the washing machine hose.
It's a 25-30mm stainless steel.

If you need additional fittings, you can go solvent weld (before making joint, try it dry first, then apply the weld.), or use some push fit, both are nearer than compression fittings. Again follow Bodd’s advice of de-burring the cut pipes first.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back