Leaking sink waste

Keep your overflow pipe and connect it to the strainer with overflow.
You have to do without that pointless cable system for the plug, as you said one washing dishes has wet hands already.
The yellow bit in the dishwasher hose should come off with a bit of persuasion.
WD40 maybe?

Sponsored Links
Keep your overflow pipe and connect it to the strainer with overflow.
You have to do without that pointless cable system for the plug, as you said one washing dishes has wet hands already.
The yellow bit in the dishwasher hose should come off with a bit of persuasion.
WD40 maybe?

Many Thanks Johnny all ordered on way to collect now! Many thanks for your help mate and everybody else also!!

Watch a couple of videos online so to have a better idea of how things go together.
To screw the strainers in, use a teaspoon handle or if you have, an old chisel.

I'd change the overflow as well!
There's usually a Toolstation near to a screwfix and they have these...

https://www.toolstation.com/stainless-steel-basket-strainer-waste/p16490

You can remove the old one by just undoing the retaining screw at the front and pulling it down... Fitting new one is opposite of removal.... Maybe a little vaseline to keep the gasket on the plastic backnut as you periscope it back up behind the bowl.

You'll have to lose the pop-up mechanism else you'll be stuck with the manufacturers cr@p again!

Good luck (y)

Sponsored Links
I'd change the overflow as well!
There's usually a Toolstation near to a screwfix and they have these...

https://www.toolstation.com/stainless-steel-basket-strainer-waste/p16490

You can remove the old one by just undoing the retaining screw at the front and pulling it down... Fitting new one is opposite of removal.... Maybe a little vaseline to keep the gasket on the plastic backnut as you periscope it back up behind the bowl.

You'll have to lose the pop-up mechanism else you'll be stuck with the manufacturers cr@p again!

Good luck (y)
It's very likely they used silicone on it given the bodging, so i would leave it alone.

Laughing at some of the humorous replies above but have to agree about whoever installed that needs a check up, and that's coming from somebody who doesn't really know much about plumbing.

Ok so I've now got the bits as per the below picture, you may notice something that wasn't on the list? A hacksaw lol!!

My mistake I should have checked the length, however let's just say I didn't count on Screwfix being so generous with the lengths of this pipework!

Therefore had to purchase a small hacksaw to cut in half to fit in car, but will come in handy for this and future projects, and gave me an excuse to purchase a new tool.

I didn't bother with the overflow as when I installed a new trap and over flow to the Jacuuzi a few months ago, I had a small weep on the overflow gland on the back, and had to bed it down into sealant (i didn't know about Fernox Ls-x then), and due to the tight restriction getting to this one on the sink, I would never be able to do it properly with the sink in situ, and would therefore rather leave as it is and 'I suppose wrongly assume' that it's been done correctly and won't leak if it had to be relied on, however we don't normally fill that one anyway it's mostly used for draining... I did give my wife the option of replacing the whole sink as Screwfix did the Resin ones for around 75.00 but she said to make do with the existing (luckily she's not a spender!!), however I did say if she wanted it replaced then now would be the best time as everything is already removed apart from having to disconnect the tap hoses!

Going to make a start on it this evening

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_173207.jpg
    IMG_20201227_173207.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 162
Did you get the solvent cement (glue)? Didn’t see it in the photo, don’t want you thinking it’ll weld itself:eek:

Did you get the solvent cement (glue)? Didn’t see it in the photo, don’t want you thinking it’ll weld itself:eek:

Hi Chris many thanks mate sorry forgot to say have some left over from a couple of years ago when had to repair a leaking toilet waste soil pipe, checked it in the garage to make sure it's still good before I went and it was good to go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back