Leaking sink waste

(y)
If you need additional fittings, you can go solvent weld (before to try it dry first, then apply the weld.), or use some push fit, both are nearer than compression fittings. Again follow Bodd’s advice of de-burring the cut pipes first.

Sponsored Links
I'd say the Grey waste kit was used simply because it was supplied with the sink(s), and having seen on plenty of occasions the lash up Kitchen Fitters pass off as Plumbing, I am not surprised it's fallen apart... Some good advice already given, all I'll add is solvent welded stuff is vastly superior to push fit or compression waste, and you already have the outlet pipework in solvent weld, just join onto that.

However, please make sure there is no strain or pull on the piecework, it should all fit together nicely, (unlike it currently appears to be), and if it needs supporting, pipe clips are the correct method, not bits of wood.

I can’t stand that grey stuff, seems really cheap and nasty. One thing with solvent weld myself and Hugh haven’t mentioned is, you only get about 5 mins before it sets, which is why I said try it dry 1st. This is why I suggested push fit, so although it’s a little unsightly compared to solvent weld, it’s a lot easier to work with.

Sponsored Links
5 mins ? Blimey, are you actually putting any glue on Chris? I'd say about 30 seconds if you're lucky!

Yes I am, sorry was getting mixed up and quoting the tub, iirc, it’s 5 mins to apply glue and stick together? Did one the other day, was set within seconds as you say. :oops:

Hi All, thank you all for the great advice.

I've got a few questions, apologies in advance, but i live out in the sticks and the nearest Screwfix/B&Q etc is nearly 2hrs round trip away from me!! Therefore I need to make sure I get ALL the things I need, will be going first thing in the morning when they open.

1. That pipe shown in the photo that Johnny mentioned I would need a jubilee clip for is a dishwasher hose not washing machine, therefore it's still the same size jubilee clip I need? Also after seeing a huge flood of water gushing all over my newly laid laminate yesterday (it wasn't cheap lol) I'm paranoid about the dishwasher leaking once I take the hose off the existing and put it on the new pipework, with a sink I can let a bit of water out at a time to ensure it's not leaking, however once that dishwasher is on its on! Will it defintely fit correctly on that new trap pipe and not leak? Is there a way of testing it before putting the dishwasher on?

2. That section of grey where it joins the white bottom left of photo, is that just a twist to remove or will it have been glued?

3. Only parts required is the recommended compression trap, jubilee clip, and the recommended strainers, anything else I need? I notice the right hand side of the trap doesn't have a pipe going up for the 2nd sink will I need to get another piece of pipework and any other fittings?

4. What do you think made it fail yesterday? That wood block was the EXACT same size as the gap between the bottom of the U Bend and shelf... And I understand I don't need that with the new recommended compression fitting trap? Therefore do you think the wood slipped out over time and then the strainer bolt rusted and pulled through with the weight of the water going down the sink?

Apologies for all the questions, but if you had seen all that water gush out all over that newly laid laminate yesterday that I spent weeks on I'm sure you would have been livid lol couldn't believe my luck honestly!!

1. Yes jubilee clip will be same size
  2. Grey to white is universal coupling, so will pull/twist out
  3. I would get a length of pipe, fittings and clips.
  4. Cheap nastiness and weight of water would have probably made it fail
Don’t worry about asking questions, we understand you want to get it right.

1. Yes jubilee clip will be same size
  2. Grey to white is universal coupling, so will pull/twist out
  3. I would get a length of pipe, fittings and clips.
  4. Cheap nastiness and weight of water would have probably made it fail
Don’t worry about asking questions, we understand you want to get it right.

Many Thanks Chris, could you please point me in the right direction for the:

I would get a length of pipe, fittings and clips.?

Ok, you need the following:
1. Mcalpine trap
2. Strainers
3. Bit of solvent weld pipe (should be 40mm, in fact, must be 40mm)
4. Solvent cement
5. Straight coupler solvent weld 40mm
6. Jubilee clip (22-30mm this one https://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/product/304-stainless-steel/158/1a-ss-30mm/ ) try to get the original in stainless steel for piece of mind.
7. Fernox ls-x for the strainers

The trap has extendable bits so to fit all kind of sinks.
I haven't found one that didn't fit yet.
A couple of tricks, things to be aware of.
The dishwasher attachments on the trap have a blanking cap. Sometimes this is installed inside the fitting, so unscrew it and remove where necessary.
The same fitting comes long with 3 steps but 99% of the time you only need the larger one, so the rest can be cut off. Try the dishwasher hose and you'll see what i mean.
Don't overdo the jubilee clip, you can always tighten it more.
As others said, cut the solvent weld pipes to length first and do a dry run.
Mark the position with a pencil if necessary.
Videos on joining these pipes available online.
When everything fits nicely without using any force, dismantle the trap and weld the pipes.
Then reinstall the trap and tighten all the compression fittings bit by bit, not one at the time but a bit each until they're tight.
Again, don't overdo them, those traps don't leak.
As said, you will need to cut the shelf a bit more, i suggest a jigsaw to make it easy.
Finally, before fitting the strainers, clean and dry the dirty rims properly until they're stainless steel shiny.
Let us know how it goes.

What do you think made it fail yesterday? That wood block was the EXACT same size as the gap between the bottom of the U Bend and shelf... And I understand I don't need that with the new recommended compression fitting trap? Therefore do you think the wood slipped out over time and then the strainer bolt rusted and pulled through with the weight of the water going down the sink?
If you fit the strainers properly and use some fernox, they won't come off.
The block of wood was there because the "fitters" knew from day one that the grey trap was going to fail.
Everybody knows but some "fitters" don't want to spend time and money for proper fittings.

Johnny’s list is good, but I’d get some 45 degree and 90 degree elbows just in case, and some pipe clips for some support.

Ok, you need the following:
1. Mcalpine trap
2. Strainers
3. Bit of solvent weld pipe (should be 40mm, in fact, must be 40mm)
4. Solvent cement
5. Straight coupler solvent weld 40mm
6. Jubilee clip (22-30mm this one https://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/product/304-stainless-steel/158/1a-ss-30mm/ ) try to get the original in stainless steel for piece of mind.
7. Fernox ls-x for the strainers

The trap has extendable bits so to fit all kind of sinks.
I haven't found one that didn't fit yet.
A couple of tricks, things to be aware of.
The dishwasher attachments on the trap have a blanking cap. Sometimes this is installed inside the fitting, so unscrew it and remove where necessary.
The same fitting comes long with 3 steps but 99% of the time you only need the larger one, so the rest can be cut off. Try the dishwasher hose and you'll see what i mean.
Don't overdo the jubilee clip, you can always tighten it more.
As others said, cut the solvent weld pipes to length first and do a dry run.
Mark the position with a pencil if necessary.
Videos on joining these pipes available online.
When everything fits nicely without using any force, dismantle the trap and weld the pipes.
Then reinstall the trap and tighten all the compression fittings bit by bit, not one at the time but a bit each until they're tight.
Again, don't overdo them, those traps don't leak.
As said, you will need to cut the shelf a bit more, i suggest a jigsaw to make it easy.
Finally, before fitting the strainers, clean and dry the dirty rims properly until they're stainless steel shiny.
Let us know how it goes.

Many Thanks Johnny, just ordering all the bits now ready for collection in morning.

Just had a quick look at the strainers recommended and one has an overflow, but where does this pick up on tbe trap? The large sink doesn't have an overflow but the smaller one does, ive taken a photo as below but not going to be easy to replace that section as I can't get to it, its really tight against the sink and unit, can I retain the existing overflow run and pick up on that in the trap?

This will be a learning curve for me, knowing what I need to cut and how I join etc but I suppose once I've got all the bits in front of me it will make more sense...

I've attached photos as below.

Many Thanks

Edit photos

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_233507.jpg
    IMG_20201226_233507.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20201226_233431.jpg
    IMG_20201226_233431.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20201226_233345.jpg
    IMG_20201226_233345.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 169
OK bit of a Night Owl as normally work better after Midnight.

I've removed all the grey pipes and now left with the below photos.

1. Can I reuse the overflow from the small sink and pickup with it on the new trap as I won't be able to get up the back of it to disconnect without lifting the sink out?

2. Can I reuse that yellow bit inside the dishwasher hose as I there solid unless I heat the pipe up to expand the hose?

3. Can I reuse that pop up plug wire? Or shall I just leave it there redundant? (don't think my wife will mind we aren't the posh type and we don't mind getting our hands wet and dirty)

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_235737.jpg
    IMG_20201226_235737.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20201227_000229.jpg
    IMG_20201227_000229.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20201227_000237.jpg
    IMG_20201227_000237.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20201227_000246.jpg
    IMG_20201227_000246.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20201227_000328.jpg
    IMG_20201227_000328.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20201227_000342.jpg
    IMG_20201227_000342.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20201227_000525.jpg
    IMG_20201227_000525.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 148

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back