Leaking sink waste

Ok, get it back to this point, then just change the stem part from trap to strainer making sure there’s a washer at both ends. Also did the branch off reach the other strainer waste? Cut the elbow bottom left, use the solvent weld coupling and extend this up using pipe. Come off with a 90 elbow as it was previously, but obviously higher up, and a piece of pipe to suit the trap.

View attachment 215980

Hi Chris many thanks, just waiting for Johnny to confirm regarding my last post and will then do the above what you've suggested to make up the difference in height, however the other problem I seem to have is the 40mm elbows, coupler, and pipework I purchased today all slip into each other perfectly snug even without the solvent, however they don't fit onto the trap pipes snug, there is about 2mm difference and a lot of lateral movement and I'm sure that would leak?

Sponsored Links
Might have been better with the McAlpine double bowl kit, the one you have should work though. This snugness for trap, the trap is universal and works on the compression of the conical washer and red washer to prevent it leaking - Ive used hundreds as I’m sure vast majority of other plumbers have.

Might have been better with the McAlpine double bowl kit, the one you have should work though. This snugness for trap, the trap is universal and works on the compression of the conical washer and red washer to prevent it leaking - Ive used hundreds as I’m sure vast majority of other plumbers have.

Hi Chris, it's the solvent weld pipes that I can't see being able to join onto the trap to extend it up to the strainers, I've attached photos below, one showing the 40mm coupler on the 40mm pipe (that feels and looks fine and I can see would work and be watertight even without the solvent) but the other photo is showing the coupler on the trap pipe and you can see the huge gap around the edge?

Attachments

• IMG_20201228_044058.jpg
    IMG_20201228_044058.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20201228_044226.jpg
    IMG_20201228_044226.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20201228_044248.jpg
    IMG_20201228_044248.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
Also for the 2nd strainer even if I was able to solvent weld a new pipe to reach the 2nd strainer I don't have a thread on the solvent weld pipe to screw onto the nut on the trap?

Hi Johnny,

I've attached a photo below of the large compression nut, with the red ring and the tapered washer? I didn't use this as on the existing white pipework I took the male both sides coupling off as that looked like it was no longer needed for this setup and was planning on reusing the existing large nut and tapered washer (photos below)?

Regarding the blue areas you circled for the square section washers, I don't have one that fits on the dishwasher connection (but the plastic fitting has a bit of a mold shape to it therefore is this instead of it? (photo below)

Also the other area marked blue going to the 2nd strainer already has a black type washer installed? I've also put the other type of black washer just resting on top so you can see the difference it's thicker? Therefore is this needed? Or is the one that's already installed and fixed in the groove sufficient?

Also the end of the fixed nut at the top of the pipe that fixes to strainer 1 doesn't have anything inside it does it need something? (photo attached?)?
Image 1, pretty sure you don't need top washer , just the one on the collar.
Image 2, replace that existing nut with new one supplied in the trap in your image 6.
Image 3, you shouldn't need this anymore.
Image 4, isn't there a rubber washer inside there, at the bottom of the thread? Pretty sure there is.
Image 5, maybe here you don't need a washer, check the other side.

Image 1, pretty sure you don't need top washer , just the one on the collar.
Image 2, replace that existing nut with new one supplied in the trap in your image 6.
Image 3, you shouldn't need this anymore.
Image 4, isn't there a rubber washer inside there, at the bottom of the thread? Pretty sure there is.
Image 5, maybe here you don't need a washer, check the other side.

Hi Johnny,

Many thanks for your response much appreciated.

Image 4 definitely doesn't have a washer inside, however I do have one of those black rings left over the same as the other ones that slides over the pipe, shall I put this inside? I've tried and it does go in just about but it doesn't sit completely square, you get about 3/4 sat in the groove and the other 1/4 pops up.

All those black bits that were loose in the package are the same apart from the one cone shaped one that goes with the red one onto the existing solvent pipe to stop the large nut sliding off.

Shouldn't they ALL be cone shaped that slide over the pipes to stop the nuts sliding off?

I've checked accross the net for compression fittings and they all seem to have cone shapes washers sliding over and not the straight ones that I have?

Also are you able to please take a look at the above questions to Chris?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201228_091204_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201228_091204_com.android.chrome.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 163
Don't use solvent anywhere on the trap.
They're all compression fittings.
The solvent is needed to extend/raise the existing pipe.

Oh I see therefore I need to get this trap instead?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-sink-kit-white-40mm/801hr

As the one I have the 2nd part won't reach the strainer.....

Then I just need to cut the elbow off the existing solvent weld pipe coming out of the floor and extend that up to the appropriate height for the two strainers to reach and then weld a new elbow on!?

Regarding the blue areas you circled for the square section washers, I don't have one that fits on the dishwasher connection (but the plastic fitting has a bit of a mold shape to it therefore is this instead of it? (photo below)
Doesn't use a washer, just fit dry and tighten the nut.

The one you have should work but the long end should be on the higher up half bowl and the short end fits onto the main bowl.

The one you have should work but the long end should be on the higher up half bowl and the short end fits onto the main bowl.

Many Thanks mate will try that, did you see those black washer type things that slip over shouldn't they all be cone shaped? As they aren't cone shaped all flat apart from the one that goes onto the large nut that connects up to the solvent pipe?

Also my post above regarding the nut in the photo on the previous page that doesn't have a washer inside the nut should it have one?

Also for the 2nd strainer even if I was able to solvent weld a new pipe to reach the 2nd strainer I don't have a thread on the solvent weld pipe to screw onto the nut on the trap?

Don't use solvent on the new trap, you could use a straight waste coupler.

Image 4 definitely doesn't have a washer inside, however I do have one of those black rings left over the same as the other ones that slides over the pipe, shall I put this inside?

Yes

Shouldn't they ALL be cone shaped that slide over the pipes to stop the nuts sliding off?

No

Oh I see therefore I need to get this trap instead?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-sink-kit-white-40mm/801hr

As the one I have the 2nd part won't reach the strainer.....

Then I just need to cut the elbow off the existing solvent weld pipe coming out of the floor and extend that up to the appropriate height for the two strainers to reach and then weld a new elbow on!?

This trap would be possibly easier, but as you have a 1 and half bowl, the trap you have bought should be fine, see advice below

Don't use solvent on the new trap, you could use a straight waste coupler.

Yes

No

This trap would be possibly easier, but as you have a 1 and half bowl, the trap you have bought should be fine, see advice below

Many Thanks Johnny think I understand now the trap needs turning the other way around due to the height differences at the bottom of each sink!!

I feel a right dick now lol!!

Also one last question and will then leave you all alone (hopefully!!) did you see my post about that black washer thing I have spare to slip into that large nut doesn't fit in properly and is exactly the same as the other flat ones that just slip over the pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back