Leaking TRV - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was hoping for some help and advice. I recently undertook a decorating project in my two bedrooms upstairs. I removed the radiator in each room, closing the TRVs to isolate them both. All was going fine until about a week later (with the radiators still removed) one of the TRVs had started leaking from the tap and had caused damp patches on the walls in the room below. The pressure had completely dropped from the system (pressurised central heating with combi boiler) by this point.

I inspected the TRV which seemed fine, re-fitted and tightened it back on and re-pressurised the system. Within a few minutes the tap was leaking again so I knew (or thought) I had a problem with the TRV. I bought and fitted a new TRV, re-pressurised the system again, ran the heating for a couple of hours and everything seemed fine.

A week later (today) I returned to the property to find that it had leaked again, causing further damage downstairs which is extremely annoying. I am a complete amateur (as you may have guessed) and clearly doing something wrong. The other TRV by the way in the second bedroom has been fine and caused me no issues.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening. It is definitely leaking from the tap as opposed to any seals or fittings. Are TRVs designed to act as a watertight stop cock? Could the recent drop in temperature have caused both TRVs to start letting?

Any help would be appreciated

Dan

Sponsored Links
Quite likely that the TRV's have frost settings and have opened as the internal temperature dropped. Usual practise is to fit a 'decorators cap' and belt and braces cap the open TRV as well.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone, much appreciated. Glad that I at least now know the reason why it's happening. Lesson learned!

Sponsored Links
On a side note, why do you think the other TRV held tight?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back