Learning to drive a boat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are a few boaters on here, who might find this funny... Always good to learn to drive a boat before you rent a 50 footer.. This isn't my footage, but I was there at the time. The worse boat handling skill I've ever seen.

Sponsored Links
"Med Mooring" can be tricky even in calm weather. A nightmare in high cross winds. There is a knack of dropping the anchor just at the right time to stop the bow swinging as you drive the stern in.
No excuse however for the crazy maneuvering causing the damage to others.
I would not want to be that skipper trying to explain himself to the locals.
A couple of boat hooks would have helped to keep the hulls apart.

I know there are a few boaters on here, who might find this funny... Always good to learn to drive a boat before you rent a 50 footer.. This isn't my footage, but I was there at the time. The worse boat handling skill I've ever seen.

Fookin ell....Was he coming or going??? Lol.Moving the ladder would have been a good start.Good job sea was not more choppy,or more wind.

Sorry bud, maybe a mop but not a boat hook against fibreglass, hooks are for pulling not pushing off.
Mines 37ft up on the Broads with two thrusters but when the wind catches you side on at low speed there is little you can do.

Sponsored Links
sorry for being thick but what was he trying to do?

other than trying to get his head kicked in

(oops crossed with Brigs post)

He was leaving..
He was parked between the the sun odyssey 44 and the wall.. there is a 10-15kt wind blowing from right to left. As he left, his bow got taken down wind and he swung in to the 44, gave it a slug of reverse and hooked up the 34 anchor. By the time he got that sorted out he was on the bow of the 34. Forward in to the cat, reverse back in to the 44, catches the 44 anchor chain and drives at full throttle towards the cat dragging the 44 in to the bow of the 34 and then jousts the cat with his bowsprit. Not happy with that he turns round and stern swipes the cat with his gangway.

The key lesson is never wear matching outfits when you can't sail for toffee.

The wind will always blow your bow down wind if you aren't moving, because a sailing boat has a keel and at least one rudder where as there is nothing at the front to grip the water, so its a bit like a dart tail ends up windward.

Last edited:
I'm sure the friendly Greek locals politely explained how to manoeuvre the boat for next time...

this is what happens when "cool dudes" get owned by the sea

those guys on Motorbikings clip shouldnt be out in open water, disaster waiting to happen

Amen to that. We sit and laugh at the weekenders, the Captains and Commodores in their pristine white trousers and blazers and the ladies in their skinny white trousers all dolled up like they are on the catwalk. :D

Fck sake that was cringe all the way through only really ever been a skipper of river and canal boats and yes fibreglass drifts easy in the wind but omg that was Mr Bean or a scene from one of his films?

He was leaving..
He was parked between the the sun odyssey 44 and the wall.. there is a 10-15kt wind blowing from right to left. As he left, his bow got taken down wind and he swung in to the 44, gave it a slug of reverse and hooked up the 34 anchor. By the time he got that sorted out he was on the bow of the 34. Forward in to the cat, reverse back in to the 44, catches the 44 anchor chain and drives at full throttle towards the cat dragging the 44 in to the bow of the 34 and then jousts the cat with his bowsprit. Not happy with that he turns round and stern swipes the cat with his gangway.

The wind will always blow your bow down wind if you aren't moving, because a sailing boat has a keel and at least one rudder where as there is nothing at the front to grip the water, so its a bit like a dart tail ends up windward.
They just didn't get the way that boats steer. They were driving as if it were a car. You don't get any force out of the rudder without water moving over it and unlike a car it spins. Just to add insult to their ineptitude, the center of rotation changes, when you're going forward it's the keel, in reverse it's the rudder. They didn't take account of that in any of their attempts and so kept side slamming the innocent bystanders.

They should have admitted they were in over their heads, chucked a line to the neighbouring boats and stopped to think.

Cocking up whilst manuvering is part of learning and perfectly normal, trying to dig yourself out of the hole with brute force is not.

Good summary of what went wrong.. Its a big boat for someone who is clearly a beginner or needs a refresher. In the same situation I would have just driven over my anchor and pulled it up from the other side or used the bow thruster to maintain control. That particular boat is twin rudder, so even less control (no prop wash).

Sponsored Links
Back