Do you enjoy driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I KNOW the accuracy of my speedo - and maintain a constant 70mph - just as the law says I must. Write to your MP if you don't like it.

if you know your car is doing true 70 at indicated 70 then thats fine. mine doesnt and thats not what you were getting confused about above.

what did you test your speedo with?

There are speed advisory signs around here that activate at 30mph. They all trigger at 32mph on my speedo.

then you dont know the true speedo reading of your car :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
But he does know hes been speeding by activating the signs ;)

not really. the ones round here are all activated under the speed limit.

one goes off at 23 in a 30 :rolleyes:

Look folks. The bottom line is that I do my best to adhere to the speed limits that are set by law. Just because you won't get booked until you exceed 79mph doesn't give you license to travel at that speed.

Why do you all have a problem with my wish to observe the law?

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
Not quite 'all', joe - some of us agree with you.

If everyone let people who want to pass do so the motorways would be a far less congested place. All you do by sitting at 70 mph in the middle lane oblivious to people behind is to cause holdups. This was proved in a TV documentary a couple of years ago where they filmed the M5 from a helicopter and watched as the traffic jams developed ... Volume of traffic wasn't the problem, it was poor driving practice.
I would've thought poor driving practice are the one that wants to drive over 70 mph so you have change lane when safe to do so causing more problem in the middle lane, to me that's poor driving. I would like to see 55mph on motorway, its encomical and you have more time to think and it should ease a lot of congestion of each exit junctions

Look folks. The bottom line is that I do my best to adhere to the speed limits that are set by law. Just because you won't get booked until you exceed 79mph doesn't give you license to travel at that speed.

Agree

Lane discipline
238. You should drive in the left-hand lane if the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower moving vehicles it may be safer to remain in the centre or outer lanes until the manoeuvre is completed rather than continually changing lanes. Return to the left-hand lane once you have overtaken all the vehicles or if you are delaying traffic behind you. Slow moving or speed restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by signs.
Laws MT(E&W)R reg 5 & MT(S)R reg 4

239. The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving

any vehicle drawing a trailer
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight over 7.5 tonnes
a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver.

If we all followed the highway code's statement on lane discipline then the arguement on speed would be null and void, when we catch up to a vehicle infront (at whatever speed) we pull out of the inside lane into an 'overtaking lane' pass the vehicle and return to the 'inside' lane (not fast and slow lanes). Job done, no-one gets held up/frustrated/endangered or aggravated by others........."Oh what a wonderful world it would be"... :LOL:

I actually enjoy driving and will take a good A road over a motorway whenever possible, less conjestion, nicer views and usually a quicker pace. This preference is in either car and on my motorbike...:cool:

i dont have any problem with that.

the problem i have is you have a very shakey idea of what the speed limit is in relation to what your car is telling you it is.

joe-90 wrote:
Softus Wrote:
Not quite 'all', joe - some of us agree with you.
Not sure which bit of Joe's ranting you are agreeing with Softus but its not like you to not be fully conversant with a thread before you post.

Joe's involvement began at page 2 I think as ...
I hate driving; far too many idiots on the road. I particularly hate motorways mon-fri when you can't use the left lane as it's full of lorries so you have to sit in the middle lane. You aren't allowed to exceed the speed limit so you sit on the speed limit. Then idiots that are speeding come up behind you and flash their lights! Why? If I sit on the speed limit then no-one behind can legally catch up with me. If they want to speed and risk a fine and drive over the limit - then that's their problem - not mine.
This is just typical J90 nonsense and, if you'd followed all of this, you would have realised that nobody has actually asked Joe to break any laws as far as I can see ... Moving over to the left hand lane when safe to do so to let people who wish to drive faster than you isn't asking you to break any laws its asking you to be courteous to other drivers.

Isn't it?

MW

But I DO move over when I have the chance to. The problem is that the trucks in the left lane are restricted to 60mph. If I travel at 70 mph in the middle lane then I just keep overtaking them for miles and miles and miles.

What do YOU suggest I do?

being fair to him he did state the reason he does not move over is because the left lane is "full" of lorries.

i may be wrong but i dont think he has specifically stated that he would not move over into another lane if someone was behind him and he had the opportunity to do so. if has said that then i stand corrected.

personally, he is exactly the sort of driver i detest. his attitude of im doing the speed limit and shouldnt have to move for anyone, while admirable for the speed limit bit, is likely to get him knifed by some idiot on a road rage bender. that attitude usually leads the driver to be arrogant in other ways.

its not a racecourse out there gents, but if you want to drive fast and accept the consequenses then there is probably little to dissuade you.

also if you are driving under the speed limit and someone wishes to get past, whatever their speed, then common sense and courtesy would dictate that you give them every chance to do so.

Joe-90 Wrote:
But I DO move over when I have the chance to.
:eek: Not what you've been saying in every previous post ... Clown!

If anyone needs to see a great example of why Joe-90's posts add no value read this thread from start to finish ... Priceless :LOL:

Joe: Oilman is absolutely right about your posting practice serving no useful purpose and I will not be responding to any further posts by you.

MW

Wghat about this scenario that I've seen many times. Trucks fill the left lane at 50mph.
I fill the middle lane at 70mph.
Anyone wanting to overtake at 80 can use the right hand lane.
Then some clown comes along at 95mph flashing lights at the guy in the right hand lane because he isn't going fast enough!

It's time to put speed cameras on bridges and set the cameras at 75mph.
If your speedo is that inaccurate that you get booked then get it fixed.

Joe-90 Wrote:
But I DO move over when I have the chance to.
:eek: Not what you've been saying in every previous post ... Clown!

If anyone needs to see a great example of why Joe-90's posts add no value read this thread from start to finish ... Priceless :LOL:

Joe: Oilman is absolutely right about your posting practice serving no useful purpose and I will not be responding to any further posts by you.

MW

Would you like to post where I have said otherwise? You are the clown if you can't. (he won't)

When the argument is lost - the abuse begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back