leaving the sinking Ship - Brexit SS

it appears Europe is suffering from a HGV driver shortages aswell

So even with all those EU workers returning to their respective countries, they have labour and HGV driver shortages in the EU? You would think, if some on here are to be believed, that most of Europe would by now have a glut of labour thanks to Brexit. Apparently not, so the Brexit argument for our shortage of labour and HGV drivers is really all ballcocks.

Sponsored Links
So even with all those EU workers returning to their respective countries, they have labour and HGV driver shortages in the EU? You would think, if some on here are to be believed, that most of Europe would by now have a glut of labour thanks to Brexit. Apparently not, so the Brexit argument for our shortage of labour and HGV drivers is really all ballcocks.

Research shows there has been an exodus less severe than first assumed of European migrants.

I see a figure in a construction article that said they were expecting 15% but ended up losing 7% something like that anyway.

I'll assume this is similar across various industries, so we cannot deny there has been issues caused as the result of brexit,

With so many young people advising they cannot find jobs/careers upon leaving school/college/uni I cannot see why in the next couple of years these shortages should be relatively easily plugged if the correct policies are in place both from businesses and government.

Though this may require some effort from youngsters aswell to rethink their futures.

Personally I think schools and careers centres are severely lacking in the UK, they offer very little help and tend to just palm you off so you have to think of a path yourself. I firmly believe Had I been fully aware of all the opportunities available my future would have been very different as to what it is now.

Anyway I'm digressing.

Basically the situation isn't as bad as it was thought to be, and over the next few years we should with the correct processes be able to plug the gaps.

Downside is we'll all be paying more for everything as the biggest way to get people enticed is to offer greater salaries.

Sponsored Links
Though I'm not disagreeing with you, there are issues caused by brexit, I've had personally issues with importing goods and the minefield that is customs and the delays they cause, however most companies are on top of this now, the only issue we have is with TNT, any other imports and exports by other companies either independent or national/international, are now dealt with as swiftly as they were before Brexit (from personal experience). some issues have been compounded by brexit, but exactly what percentage is caused by brexit and what's caused by the pandemic is not yet 100% clear, it appears Europe is suffering from a HGV driver shortages aswell, some report food shortages, let's not pretend that the EU doesn't have issues of their own, and some of these issues we would still be experiencing whether brexit happened or not.

Personally the whole world seems to be an absolute sh&t show at the moment. Even new Zealand, shutting the country down again because of 1 or 2 cases. I understand as to why, but the problem is this is not going to go away, and they can't possibly keep shutting the country down forever surely?

Yes, agree that Covid is part of the problem. As for NZ closing down country to virus, it doesn't work. Czech Republic went really hard lockdown last year, calling a state of emergency and closing country. They were a real success story on cases and deaths until they inevitably had to open up. Then the virus tore through the country with devastating effect. The 'Rona is here to stay and can't be outrun.

Yes, agree that Covid is part of the problem. As for NZ closing down country to virus, it doesn't work. Czech Republic went really hard lockdown last year, calling a state of emergency and closing country. They were a real success story on cases and deaths until they inevitably had to open up. Then the virus tore through the country with devastating effect. The 'Rona is here to stay and can't be outrun.

NZ had a lot of success with its elimination strategy -it has had hardly any deaths and less damage to the economy than UK
but with the delta variant its so infectious its hard to keep out -as we know, covid started with just one case

elimination strategy is no good in Europe -we are far too interconnected.

NZ is bl@@dy miles from anywhere

I just hope we develop a better vaccine for variants.....AstraZeneca is now waning, so the elderly need another jab

I just hope we develop a better vaccine for variants.....AstraZeneca is now waning, so the elderly need another jab

I've heard the effects reduce either weeks or 6 months after 2nd jab. Hard to know what to think. Mechanic in the garage I use had his jabs 4 months ago and recently caught Covid on holiday in Devon. In hospital with blood sats in 70s % - touch and go. Jab is no panacea by a long chalk.

I use had his jabs 4 months ago and recently caught Covid on holiday in Devon. In hospital with blood sats in 70s % - touch and go. Jab is no panacea by a long chalk.

wow thats concerning -blood oxygen sats should be 95% plus.

My mother in law is in her highish 70s and had her 2nd jab in March, she is becoming rather concerned yesterday I was telling her "but youve been jabbed, Im sure you still have loads of protection".

Brexit argument for our shortage of labour and HGV drivers is really all ballcocks

E94CqU-XMAsQBc8

My mother in law is in her highish 70s and had her 2nd jab in March, she is becoming rather concerned yesterday I was telling her "but youve been jabbed, Im sure you still have loads of protection".

I read the other day a jabbed 70 year old has more chance of dying of Covid than an unjabbed 30 year old. I wouldn't tell her this though.

Brexit was always going to cause turmoil and disruption in the short term, it was bound to, TBH what we are seeing is a lot less disruptive than I predicted - 5 or 10 years down the line it is going to be viewed as positively foresightfull. The EU will melt down into a giant toxic fudge. The east is the future - get your dosh invested out there, amazing people and economies.

I read the other day a jabbed 70 year old has more chance of dying of Covid than an unjabbed 30 year old. I wouldn't tell her this though.
Of course they do, they are 70, a change of wind direction will be more likely to kill them than a 30year old

Has your brain been affected by the looney left - sounds like some bollux spouted by gasbum

Of course they do, they are 70, a change of wind direction will be more likely to kill them than a 30year old

Has your brain been affected by the looney left - sounds like some bollux spouted by gasbum

Don't know where you live, but I don't know any 70 year olds who are that frail. My father is 88 years old and was putting up new fencing by himself last week. You are out of date with your assumptions. Shame you need insults to try to back up your lack of coherence. Anyway, it's only what I read, not my personal opinion. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back