LED bulb 50 Hz what why use driver?

These are low voltage, the ones I am talking about are extra low voltage...
I don't like to pick, Eric. But the Inceptor LEDs themselves are ELV (36v). Supply to the integrated driver itself is 230v.
That's an interesting one, and I'm inclined to agree with eric ....

...we only have to look around our homes to see countless items ('integrated items', 'boxes') whose 'workings' are all at ELV but, by virtue of an integrated PSU, the supply to the 'box' is at LV - whether a PC, an item of consumer electronics or whatever. If I have to 'plug it (the 'box') into the mains', I would never dream of calling it ELV equipment, would you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It becomes necessary to use the description "LED element" when trying to explain things.
True, but that shouldn't be the case. "An LED" is clearly a diode - in other words, an "LED element". We should not really be using "LED" to refer to a light source incorporating one or more 'LED elements', any more than we should refer to an incandescent lamp/bulb as "a filament'!

... another example of inappropriate (ambiguous) terminology having been assimilated into language, and come to be 'accepted'!

Kind Regards, John

Another abbreviation/truncation leading to confusion - they are LED lamps. :)
Exactly - although, as I said, the same didn't happen with incandescent lamps/bulbs (which were never called 'filaments'!). It seems to be a fairly recent (bad) practice.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Were they ever called 'incandescents' by anyone?
Of course they were, and still are (even in this forum, and by electricians). However, in the appropriate context, that seems like a fairly reasonable 'abbreviation' - the worst it does is to create the need for the question "incandescent what?" - but that will not usually be necessary if the word is used in an appropriate context.

That's very different from (incorrectly, not just 'abbreviation') referring to the item by the name of one of its components ('filament'). An example of when that did happen was back in the 60s when 'transistor radios' were quite often referred to as 'transistors'.

Kind Regards, John

Exactly - although, as I said, the same didn't happen with incandescent lamps/bulbs (which were never called 'filaments'!). It seems to be a fairly recent (bad) practice.

Kind Regards, John

The small lamps in the aircraft cockpit are called 'filaments' in the aircraft industry.

Don't know. I left the aircraft industry before LEDs were used.
Goodness. Was that industry slow to catch on, or are you just very old? :). It must be well over 40 years since I first played with LEDs, and I remember getting an LED watch, and a calculator with an LED display in the very early 70s.

Kind Regards, John

OK, I left in 1982. There were no LEDs in cockpits then, though they were quite common on front panels on domestic equipment. Mostly red, some green or yellow, but definitely not blue.

OK, I left in 1982. There were no LEDs in cockpits then, though they were quite common on front panels on domestic equipment. Mostly red, some green or yellow, but definitely not blue.
Fair enough. Blue (hence also white) came very late. In the days I was talking about, LEDs were, "by definition", red!

Kind Regards, John

Any idea what LEDs they are? They look like Cree XPE. mine have 6 LEDs and are 300 lumen, so substantially under driven if they are based on anything reasonably modern.

They go blue when you over clock or power them ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back