What should it be called?

Sponsored Links
I don't see much of a problem, we all know what is meant, we can all work out what is required, I don't see the industry struggling due to misinformation between customers, contractors and wholesalers.

That's the trouble with a culture of 'no one must be corrected'.

Things just get wronger and wronger.

You can have more than one name for something. Different industries will recognise different things.

I am not going to be an arsse and starting correcting my customer. "Sorry, no, I can't swap your bulbs, I can swap your lamps". You make yourself look right tit. Just get on and do your jobs. It's terminology. It's not a big deal.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but what is 'correct'? For example, when some people stated to use the word 'lamp' to refer to things which had universally been called 'bulbs' for decades, shuold someone have 'corrected' them?

Kind Regards, John

I am not going to be an arsse and starting correcting my customer. "Sorry, no, I can't swap your bulbs, I can swap your lamps". You make yourself look right tit. Just get on and do your jobs. It's terminology. It's not a big deal.
In the majority of cases, that's very true. However, if a customer asked you to install "low voltage lights", you would presumably at least ask what they meant by that (rather than just go ahead and install 230V ones), wouldn't you?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but what is 'correct'? For example, when some people stated to use the word 'lamp' to refer to things which had universally been called 'bulbs' for decades, shuold someone have 'corrected' them?
Hi Mike, well you know who I mean.

As usual, now you are using examples which could be right either way.

Calling it a plug-top is just daft.
Guess what someone would get if I worked in a shop and asked for one.

In another thread a poster is asking about socket plugs and double plugs when he means sockets.
There is nothing wrong with telling him the correct term.

Rather than asking why does it matter if someone uses the wrong name, you should be asking why don't they use the correct name?

What the problem is there it could become worser! My wife was an English student and points out to me it its worse, wrong, at the end these are all the limit you simply can't have wronger, worser or the very end. Yet we all hear people say go to the very end.

Yes, but what is 'correct'? For example, when some people stated to use the word 'lamp' to refer to things which had universally been called 'bulbs' for decades, should someone have 'corrected' them?

Kind Regards, John

Yes. I found problems when ordering items like a head lamp. It would arrive minus the bulb. My push bike still has a spigot onto which the head lamp fits, and inside that head lamp there are batteries, switch and a LED chip. Whole item be it gas, oil, carbide, or electric is a lamp. We must clearly use some other name for the parts inside the lamp, be it a wick, mantel, bulb or chip.

As already pointed out calling is a bulb instead of tube or chip is not a problem we know what it means, calling it a lamp instead of bulb, tube or chip is a problem as one can get the wrong product. But asking for a unit with LED chips and driver with a E14 cap is rather a mouth full. Even if not bulbous in shape much easier to ask for an LED bulb.

What the problem is there it could become worser! My wife was an English student and points out to me it its worse, wrong, at the end these are all the limit you simply can't have wronger, worser or the very end. Yet we all hear people say go to the very end.
It's called irony or sarcasm, Eric. :)

The next time you're in a customer's house and there's one of these -

cat.png

on the couch, say "Oh, what a lovely little cow".

What difference does it make?

In the majority of cases, that's very true. However, if a customer asked you to install "low voltage lights", you would presumably at least ask what they meant by that (rather than just go ahead and install 230V ones), wouldn't you?

Kind Regards, John
No. I think most educated electricians would have a pretty good idea what they meant. Anyone asking for low voltage, meaning 230v, is going to be some form of twit. They would be just asking for "lighting".

cat.png

Are you for real?

Cat, meaning kitten. Or pussy meaning cat.

What you are saying is lamp, meaning television, of oven meaning iron.

Pathetic.

cat.png

Are you for real?

Cat, meaning kitten. Or pussy meaning cat.

What you are saying is lamp, meaning television, of oven meaning iron.

Pathetic.
Ah. I think I see the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back