What should it be called?

As usual, now you are using examples which could be right either way.
Not at the start. There was a time, well within my memory (and that of a good few others here) when the 'correct' (essentially only) term was 'bulb' or 'light bulb'. In terms of what was 'correct' at the time, the first people who started using the world 'lamp' to refer to the item in question were therefore surely 'wrong' - and, by your reasoning, should have been corrected?
Calling it a plug-top is just daft.
Indeed. As I said, it's so daft that I find it hard to imagine bhow it ever 'started'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes. I found problems when ordering items like a head lamp. It would arrive minus the bulb.
You may recall that a year or two ago, when we were having this same discussion, I did a couple of experiments. I went into Halfords and asked for a lamp for my headlamp - and was treated as if I were crazy. I then went into Homebase (next door, as it happens!) and asked a member of staff where I could find 'lamps' - and you can probably guess what section of the store I was directed to! I then asked a different member of staff where I could find a lamp for my table lamp - and, again, were treated as if I were crazy!

Kind Regards, John

As usual, now you are using examples which could be right either way.
Not at the start. There was a time, well within my memory (and that of a good few others here) when the 'correct' (essentially only) term was 'bulb' or 'light bulb'. In terms of what was 'correct' at the time, the first people who started using the world 'lamp' to refer to the item in question were therefore surely 'wrong' - and, by your reasoning, should have been corrected?
If that's how it came about, then yes.

If electricians now call them lamps because they are not all bulb(ou)s then that is how it is.

However, as I said, you are using words that could and do mean both or either.

Calling a socket a plug, (or cat a cow) surely does not come within your idea of acceptable or understandable, does it?
If everyone did it, that would be how it would be.

Probably better to nip it in the bud.

There was a lot of fuss from my American friends a few years ago when the 2002 NEC adopted the term luminaire in place of the simple lighting fixture.

Sponsored Links
There was a lot of fuss from my American friends a few years ago when the 2002 NEC adopted the term luminaire in place of the simple lighting fixture.
The general public tend to just ignore (or, more likely, not even be aware of) these 'changes'. Whilst "luminaire" is now widely used in the electrical industry, and the regs, over here, I doubt whether any significant proportion of the UK population even knows what it means, let alone use the word! The same, I suspect, with 'lamps'.

Kind Regards, John

The general public tend to just ignore (or, more likely, not even be aware of) these 'changes'. Whilst "luminaire" is now widely used in the electrical industry, and the regs, over here, I doubt whether any significant proportion of the UK population even knows what it means, let alone use the word!
Indeed, and I doubt that many people outside the industry here know either, and probably just think it sounds like "something foreign." Most of the friends to whom I referred were in some way in technical circles, and still couldn't see the point of the change.

If electricians now call them lamps because they are not all bulb(ou)s then that is how it is.
You seem to be implying that "many wrongs make a right". As I said, the first electricians to start using the word (even if 'for good reason') were "just plain wrong" in terms of the correct terminology of the day. Since they seemingly weren't 'corrected' at the time, the fashion spread!
Calling a socket a plug, (or cat a cow) surely does not come within your idea of acceptable or understandable, does it?
Of course not, but these are two different issues. As for 'understandable', it comes down to the question of 'by whom' - as I keep saying, I doubt that "lamp", "low voltage", "luminaire" etc. are ('correctly') understood by the majority of the general population.

... and you know that "continuity testing" niggles me and offends my upbringing :) Have electricians always called it that?

Kind Regards, John

Re low voltage - Even within the U.K. electrical industry with its IEE Wiring Regs./BS7671-centric way of thinking, don't forget that sometimes it's decided, for no apparent reason, to change the definition. The "official" definition of low voltage now includes all of what used to be called medium voltage plus the first part of what used to be deemed high voltage!

The next time you're in a customer's house and there's one of these -

cat.png

on the couch, say "Oh, what a lovely little cow".

What difference does it make?
Well it is clearly not a CAT this
162.jpg
is a CAT so COW seems a good name.

You seem to be implying that "many wrongs make a right". As I said, the first electricians to start using the word (even if 'for good reason') were "just plain wrong" in terms of the correct terminology of the day. Since they seemingly weren't 'corrected' at the time, the fashion spread!
I agreed. They should have been but it's too late now.

Let's not have any more 'evolution'.

Of course not, but these are two different issues. As for 'understandable', it comes down to the question of 'by whom' - as I keep saying, I doubt that "lamp", "low voltage", "luminaire" etc. are ('correctly') understood by the majority of the general population.
Quite, but it is not I who am saying they should not be corrected.

... and you know that "continuity testing" niggles me and offends my upbringing :) Have electricians always called it that?
Well, I know that is a pet hate of yours. I have many.

I know you refer to the time characteristic but that is not the only definition of continuity.
Does it also mean continuous in a physical sense? -

upload_2015-11-21_22-8-0.png

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/continuity

so, not that bad,

or has that been updated because of evolution?

I agreed. They should have been but it's too late now. Let's not have any more 'evolution'.
Some evolution of language is desirable. It would be a bit silly if we will still calling all the motorised vehicles on the roads "horseless carriages" - which was once the 'correct' term, wouldn't it?
Well, I know that is a pet hate of yours. I have many. ... I know you refer to the time characteristic but that is not the only definition of continuity. Does it also mean continuous in a physical sense?
I think you're thinking of someone else - I never refer to "the time characteristic". I talk specifically about an electrical "continuity test" - which ('correctly') is a qualitative (actually dichotomous) test, the result of which is either 'Yes' or 'No' (according to an arbitrarily defined cut-off resistance). A quantitative "low resistance measurement" is just that - a (low) resistance measurement - not a 'continuity test'.

You might just as well call an IR test a "non-continuity test" :)

Kind Regards, John

Some evolution of language is desirable. It would be a bit silly if we will still calling all the motorised vehicles on the roads "horseless carriages" - which was once the 'correct' term, wouldn't it?
Not really, if that's what we called it that's what we would accept.
Thinking up new names for things is not the same as wrong names.

We still have Hackney Carriages.
Don't Carriage and Car (not an abbreviation?) have the same origin?

I think you're thinking of someone else - I never refer to "the time characteristic".
Sorry, I thought that was why you didn't like the term.

I talk specifically about an electrical "continuity test" - which ('correctly') is a qualitative (actually dichotomous) test, the result of which is either 'Yes' or 'No' (according to an arbitrarily defined cut-off resistance). A quantitative "low resistance measurement" is just that - a (low) resistance measurement - not a 'continuity test'.
Yes, but once continuity has been established the resistance is noted.
It can't be infinity or 0Ω.

You might just as well call an IR test a "non-continuity test"

or "isolation test" which would be the same.

Not really, if that's what we called it that's what we would accept. ... We still have Hackney Carriages. Don't Carriage and Car (not an abbreviation?) have the same origin?
fair enough. To have stuck with 'carriage' would probably have been reasonable - but "horseless" would be a bit silly in 21st (or second half of 20th) century, wouldn't it?
Thinking up new names for things is not the same as wrong names.
If they are genuinely 'new' names, then that might be reasonable. What I find unfortunate is when the so-called 'new name' is a name which always has had (and continues to have) a totally different meaning (e.g. lamp).
Yes, but once continuity has been established the resistance is noted.
If the magnitude of the resistance is measured, it's a resistance measurement, not a continuity test.
You might just as well call an IR test a "non-continuity test"
or "isolation test" which would be the same.
Yes, but if the actual resistance is being measured (rather than Yes/No for above/below some specified measurement) then it is a resistance measurement, not either of those other two things.

I have a 'continuity tester' in my toolbox. It has an LED and a buzzer, but no other display of any sort. I also have meters that can measure resistance. They are different things.

Kind Regards, John

Don't Carriage and Car (not an abbreviation?) have the same origin?
Look at how in this case each of those terms came to be the preferred term for the same thing in places which were, to some extent, developing the English language separately at the time: The British railway carriage vs. the American railroad car.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back