What should it be called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems tradition has resulted in some names which no longer describe the item. The bulb was a bulbous shape, but then we got the folded tube.

The ballast now replaced with a HF switch mode device which is not really a ballast.

The transformer also replaced with a switch mode device at least it's called an electronic transformer to show the difference.

The MR in MR16 refers to the reflector so since most LED lamps to not have reflectors they are not MR.

The driver is a real problem as it described a current regulating device used to power runway lights and LED's and now anything which is used to power an LED even if voltage regulated seems to be called a driver.

Even the word lamp. We had a spigot on the wall which the tilley lamp fitted on. The thing which gave out the light was called a mantel, whole item was a lamp. Now since the thing giving out light is not bulbous we have started calling that a lamp and the whole item a fitting. Except with auto trade. A head lamp comes without the bulb that's extra.

And as to low voltage, at least we do have a definition pity lighting manufacturers can't read BS 7671?

Sorry to shovel it on but didn't have a spade!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Another common misnomer is to call a consumer unit a fuse box. Fuses and MCBs have such different characteristics I'm surprised that it seems acceptable on this forum.

Another common misnomer is to call a consumer unit a fuse box. Fuses and MCBs have such different characteristics I'm surprised that it seems acceptable on this forum.
I was quite surprised to find out consumer unit really only came in around 1988 or at least the type testing of distribution units for domestic use. So the old Wylex fuse box was not type tested to that standard so it was not a consumer unit it was just a distribution unit.
Now that is a real problem. under
EARTHING ARRANGEMENTS AND PROTECTIVE CONDUCTORS
we have bonding and an earth electrode becomes an extraneous conductive part if the supply is changed from TT to TN which resulted in some people stating you can't have an earth rod with a TN supply. Which is correct, but that does not mean you have to remove the earth rod, it just changes name and becomes an extraneous conductive part.

I like "protective conductors" as it covers the lot. OK we may laugh at all the names, however under English law we have requirements for changing a consumer unit but not a distribution unit and also ordinary person and skilled person controlling a property will affect which is allowed under the regulations. I still can not believe they called it a consumer unit in the Part P document? I would have called it a distribution unit to ensure it covered all as I am sure that was what was intended.

But the lighting industry has to be the worst for names. And the "LED driver" is the one which really causes a problem. One has to read very carefully to note it's 3.5 ~ 12 volt at 320 mA rather than 12 volt at 5 ~ 320 mA, They are two very different units both now seem to be called drivers.

Without wishing to open up 10 pages+ of debate, as an apprentice, I learnt the 14th and 15th simultaneously.

It seems however, that there is no use of the phrase "plug top".

Maybe it came from an older edition, IDK?

I do know that if you Google "plug top", you find a lot of retailers and wholesalers use the term.

Last edited:
And if you Google 9/11 conspiracy you'll find a lot of people believing that exists too.

.... as an apprentice, I learnt the 14th and 15th simultaneously. It seems however, that there is no use of the phrase "plug top". Maybe it came from an older edition, IDK?
I don't think I've ever seen a suggestion that "plug top" ever appeared in any edition of the Wiring Regs.

It's a very odd phrase, so I have to wonder how on earth it ever came about.

Kind Regards, John

I remember my sister watching wooden tops she was younger then me. But plug top not a clue. I remember meeting one guy who was certain you could have worst, worster, and worstest? We also have the very end, very last etc. Other than the name of a TV program like "Very last of the summer wine." last is the last, end is the end not point trying to qualify further.

Meanings change over time USA seems the main reason. Black Friday was 15 April 1921 during the general strike. however it seems the tax system in the USA caused shops to sell items as a cut price just before Christmas which is now being called Black Friday.

Not just before Christmas; it is the day after Thanksgiving - 27th November this year.

Argos has a Black Friday Event - twelve days of amazing deals - ending 1st December ???
Just need card manufacturers to jump on the band wagon with Happy Black Friday cards.

But what about all those Wylex and MEM units which can be fitted with either, or a combination?

I was quite surprised to find out consumer unit really only came in around 1988 or at least the type testing of distribution units for domestic use. So the old Wylex fuse box was not type tested to that standard so it was not a consumer unit it was just a distribution unit.
The term was in general use for decades before though.

Now that is a real problem. under we have bonding and an earth electrode becomes an extraneous conductive part if the supply is changed from TT to TN which resulted in some people stating you can't have an earth rod with a TN supply. Which is correct, but that does not mean you have to remove the earth rod, it just changes name and becomes an extraneous conductive part.
As I mentioned some weeks ago, I once had a very long argument on another forum with somebody who insisted that having an earth rod connected to a TN was somehow dangerous, as - according to him - it was creating some sort of hybrid TN/TT system. Nothing could make him see that it was electrically no different from bonding a length of pipework which happened to be buried in the ground.

I like "protective conductors" as it covers the lot.
Over here we have terms such as equipment grounding conductor and grounding electrode conductor, which are pretty descriptive of their functions.

The IEE Wiring Regs. used to have the e.c.c. - earth continuity conductor. It seems that sometimes they change terminology rather too frequently and for no particular reason (ELCB/RCCB/RCD etc.).

I don't think I've ever seen a suggestion that "plug top" ever appeared in any edition of the Wiring Regs.

It's a very odd phrase, so I have to wonder how on earth it ever came about.
It just seemed to appear out of nowhere - Was it around the late 1980's? To me "plug top" means exactly what it says - The top cover part of the plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back