LED light mirror cabinet in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've looked through old posts to try and find a solution, but I can't find anything relating exactly to my question - so I'm posting a new thread.

Apologies for my probably wrong use of terminology as I'm a complete noob and a foreigner, so please bear with me.

I'm not going to do the installation myself, I just need to know what I need to ask my builder to install.

Our new built house will be finished in 2017 and it's 'semi' bespoke, meaning we can add and change some things, but not others.

The house is delivered with a shaver socket in the bathroom.
What I need to know is if I need for them to add a separate wire outlet in the middle of the wall where the mirror cabinet will hang?

The builders say they don't provide this because of "health and safety reasons" which I don't understand because - people have lights in their cabinets all over...don't they?
They say however, that I can have an additional shaver socket fitted.

So my question is - can I use this for my lights in the cabinet?
Like - rip the front off it and just wire the lights into it? Because I assume these cabinets don't come with a plug, right? You have to wire them in?

Another solution would be to have an electrician to come in after the build is finished, and stretch a wire from the main light, down to the cabinet?
Since the bathroom is completely tiled, I would so much prefer if the wiring was hidden in the wall, behind the tiles and behind the cabinet.

Sorry for rambling and stupid questions - but ignorance brought me to the internet to find solutions and answers. Hope you can help.

Thanx

Sponsored Links
Yes you need an extra power feed where teh mirror/light will be.
Do you want this light to come on at the same time as the room lights, or will it have its own switch.?

The builders say they don't provide this because of "health and safety reasons"
Complete rubbish. If it is a new build, the electrical installation will be today's standards and that will provide all the safety that is required for a bathroom cupboard/light.

If another shaver socket is the only compromise, then yes, get it installed where you want the cabinet and remove the transformer/socket when you fit the cupboard.

EDIT
Another solution would be to have an electrician to come in after the build is finished, and stretch a wire from the main light, down to the cabinet?
That is an option, but the electrician will have to chop into your nice new plasterwork to chase the wire in to the wall. - also it is notifiable work, so your electrician will have to do additional paperwork.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes, I think it's rubbish about the health and safety reasons, I believe they're just shortening the list of what they're willing to add/change in the house (they said they used to do a lot more changes than they're willing to do now).

I will probably get a cabinet with a light switch on it so I don't have to consider the main light switch issue. Because, a shaver socket is constantly fed with electricity, right? They don't only work if you have the main light on?
I mean - I want to charge my (whatever) in the dark...

Again - thanx, this helps alot so I know what to ask for.

Because, a shaver socket is constantly fed with electricity, right?
Usually, although with builders doing the installation, anything is possible.
The minimum would be a 2 core and earth cable from the lighting circuit, not switched (permanently powered).

The better option is a 3 core and earth cable to the cabinet position, so you can have both permanent and switched options.

Sponsored Links
The builders say they don't provide this because of "health and safety reasons"
Complete rubbish. If it is a new build, the electrical installation will be today's standards and that will provide all the safety that is required for a bathroom cupboard/light.
I wonder if what he asked for was wires hanging out of the wall ready to connect to a cabinet...

I wonder if what he asked for was wires hanging out of the wall ready to connect to a cabinet...

No, I just asked for the wiring to be ready to attach my light - whatever they need to do (cover up, temporarily plug or whatever for the electrician (or my husband) to sort out when we're ready to hang the cupboard) to keep within health and safety regulations.

From what I understand now, I can have the builders make a shaver socket behind where I want to hang the mirror and we can just rip off the front of the socket to get to the cables and attach something like this to it:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/noble-f...r-cabinet-with-sensor-shaver-k16/132-8580.prd
(I don't know why this link doesn't work - probably a forum rule? - Anyway, you can see what I've tried to post)
This is just a random google search for a mirror close to what we would want to fit.

Thank you, you guys for replying to me - this is very helpful as I'm a total noob (and hubby ain't much better and he has no time for research).

It would be just as safe, and cheaper, and less wasteful, for them to put the conductors in a bit of choc-block behind a blanking plate.

Ask them to tell you which regulation forbids that, and if they can't then tell them to just BWDI.

Not nonsense. That part of my reply dealt with this option
have an electrician to come in after the build is finished, and stretch a wire from the main light, down to the cabinet?

That will be new work in the bathroom, after the house hase been completed and certified.

New work, special location = notification

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back