Legal Advice - Tradesman issue

Sponsored Links
If he didn't turn up on the 14th you still had 10 days until Christmas.

Just give him his doors back - you haven't paid for them, or pay his bill.

My own thoughts....
He did let you down badly and could of easily give you a call to let you know it was a no-show but if he has paid for the doors then they are his property until paid in full by yourself no matter what the the dispute is with him turning/not turning up and that would be a seperate claim in the small court........this scenario could turn out to be expensive and long winded so what I myself would do would be to pay him and learn from this experience and let everybody know how badly he let you down..

Sponsored Links
You say you have used the doors and skirting but havent paid for them ???

Then the Carpenter is right in sending you a bill for the cost, they were not yours in the first place

In the words of Forest Gump "sh*t happens"
He bought the doors and supplied them to you as part of a verbal contract. Irrespective of whether you consider him honourable or not, the doors are still his so you either return them or buy them. Bear in mind, if you return them you will have to buy new ones, get them fitted and painted at no inconsiderable expense. If you return them, he could also bill you further for the damage you have caused to his property. Cutting off your nose to spite your face just isn't common sense.

So are you saying that the doors he left with you were used and fitted by someone else, or that they were never used and surplus to requirements?

If they were used and fitted by someone else then I suppose you would have to pay, you would have to pay whoever bought them.

If the doors are still unused then let him have them back and you pay nothing.

You gave us the situation then asked
"What do you think?

We told you our opinions wether you like them is another matter,what did you expect us to say??
As it has been highlighted by myself and other people on here the doors was NOT your property and he has every right to ask for them back...so either give the guy his money owed or the doors back.
The case of him turning up or not turning up and letting you down is a different situation...you maybe able to take him to a small calims court but you are wasting your time.
Pay him what you owe,learn from it ,never ever use him or recommend him and move on.

One thing is for sure, if I do end up paying his bill, I will proactively take every single measure I can to hurt his business. It's not the money, £170 isn't going to finish me off, it's a matter of principle. He waited almost 2 months before contacting me and only did so because he'd most likely had his bill from the merchant for the doors..

It sounds like you are angry about being let down and rightly so but I think dedicating your time to damaging his reputation is a waste of your time. He will probably manage that all by himself anyway. Better to spend your time doing nice things.

I have to say that I'm amazed at the replies. So, once I've paid for the doors, he is not even a penny out of pocket compared to me who has had to get the work done at short notice.
I'm confused because you would have to pay for the work done anyway, so what's the difference?
One thing is for sure, if I do end up paying his bill, I will proactively take every single measure I can to hurt his business. It's not the money, £170 isn't going to finish me off, it's a matter of principle.
I have been let down by a few people in my lifetime but I wouldn't want to hurt them!
it's a matter of principle
No it's not, you're angry and getting personal

Is it really worth the hassle you're creating?

Pay up. He didnt turn up, but that doesnt make the materials yours for the taking.

To clarify the situation, if you had an old friend who agreed to come and fit a new engine in your car because the old engine had blown up, and he said ''ive got an engine in my shed ill drop it off and get round to fitting it next week and we will sort the bill out afterwards'' and so he dropped the engine off and went on his way.

The next week comes and by Friday evening you never heard a thing and he wasnt answering calls. You suddenly realise that you need the car the middle of the next week and so you pay somebody else to fit it for you, but with it being the weekend, you have to pay him a premium to do it. You use the engine that your ex-mate dropped off.

2 months later, he calls round and asks for his engine back but when you refuse because its in your car, and you have paid for it to be fitted - he then gets nasty with you.

Regardless of this - in that situation, you have used his spare engine and paid somebody else to fit it. The engine still belongs to your ex-mate. He never gave it to you for free, but you decided to use it anyway.

Its the same situation with your doors and skirting board. He never gave you permission to use the parts, and common sense should have told you that nobody gives building and decorating equipment away for free and that eventually, your carpenter would return for his payment. its irrelevant that he didnt call you, or infact show up at all. For all we know, he may have lost a parent, or crashed his car or similar and just didnt have time to make the call.Lack of communication is not a prerequisite for TWOCking.

MY advice would be to pay him for the doors etc. Then- you can move on .
You have not lost anything- exept a bit of time .
DONT go down the small claims route--it really is not worth it- unless you have money to spare .
I doubt that you would get 'FULL' judgement anyway.

Principles will cost you money . If you can afford it- go for it--but- you will still lose money .

I know - because I won a small claims case in january- and the scrote/firm- is 'not for paying' .
Fortunately- I/we can afford the cost of nailing the barstewards and we will- eventually. Next coirt appearance mid April. All costs will be added to the CCJ debt they now have . :) .
The CCJ they now have is stuck on their record for 6 years - and marked as unsatisfied'.
Meanwhile- we have done what we were advised to do several months ago by other people who have trodden the same path.
We have posted lots of 'honest' reviews on websites where the scrotes always advertise.
BUT- like I said-- 'we' can afford it- it's peanuts to us - and the entertainment value is good .
Have to say also though- that it is bloody annoying that bum hools can 'get to' peoples nerve centres so easily .
Please let it go- BUT nail the buggers on line .
Whatever you do though- make sure you do NOT lie about anything you post.

Good luck .
Please take my advice .

Sponsored Links
Back