Legal Advice - Tradesman issue

Sponsored Links
I have to say that I'm amazed at the replies. So, once I've paid for the doors, he is not even a penny out of pocket compared to me who has had to get the work done at short notice.
I'm confused because you would have to pay for the work done anyway, so what's the difference?

Yea, I'm kind of scratching my head at that one as well?

If it goes to court I cant see it as anything but a waste of everyone's time, I don't know if the judge will make you pay his legal costs as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Sponsored Links
Reading the OP it looks as if the poster has deliberately stolen the doors.

All he had to do was source new doors. Or at the very least now return the doors to the right full owner.

Maybe the tradesman had a bereavement in his family or other traumatic experience which prevented him from being able to contact his customer.
Now he's being punished by having his doors stolen.

On the other side of the coin, some tradesmen are their own worst enemy, how often has say a sparky let me down, why don't they just pick up the phone?

A lot of people don't appreciate what tradesmen have to go through these days. The pay cuts are bad enough alone.

Sat a CSR site safety card lesson today by an extremely learned gentleman and was shown an image of a guy with his scrotum ripped open after he took a fall with a harness incorrectly fitted.
Apparently the fall you sustain is the equivalent of two tons of pressure in the crotch region.

In another case stone masons removed planks on a scaffold and an electrician fell through ripping his flesh off from his knee to his crotch.
He lost all his privates. Pee's through a plastic pipe now.
He was awarded 1.2 million.

OOh and pole dancers are not allowed to lash themselves with baby oil anymore!

Personally, rather than give the unreliable chancer the money I'd source some identical ones myself and tell him he's welcome to come and collect them.

He knew that time was of the essence and that the job needed to be completed in time for the woodwork to be painted prior to other trades following him in, yet he still bumped the job on several occasions before finally going completely missing.

With an attitude like that he's going to be out of business soon - so what's he going to do with 4 surplus doors?

Actually, I'd counter-sue for the additional costs incurred getting another chippy in at short notice when he breached the verbal contact which existed between you. But the spare doors idea amused me.

as above,good idea.
that way you may even get them cheaper.
but you do OWE him something irrespective of him being a complete ar5e by not contacting you at a given time.

He was probably running late on another job - so what? Christmas without a door and skirting board? FFS guys - get a grip. :rolleyes:

Either give him the doors or the money for them. You are in the wrong.

I must say if you were wanting to go down the courts route, I would want to walk into court squeaky clean. That would have meant giving the guy his doors back, thus showing the judge that I was an entirely reasonable person.

On the flipside, it is frustrating to be at the mercy of a tradesman who lets you down. But this you could have explained to the judge.

Sponsored Links
Back