lengthen 2.5mm cable to move a double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I moved house a month ago and I am getting round to sorting a few things out. I need to move cable/ socket that is overtly displayed in my garage[no hidden cabling until one gets into the loft where I think the junction box will be]. The cable is on a side wall and it is clipped along its whole length to a softwood window frame which I want to renew with UPVC.What would be the easiest way to move this cable and socket without going into the junction box and extending it from there with new cable please.

Sponsored Links
Pictures, please!

And are you certain there is a junction box?

Can you move it to a position which shortens the cable?
You say it is fed from a junction box so is it a spur or is it a radial and what rating is the MCB that supplies it?

It is not feasable to shorten the cable to make the socket usable, it would, unfortunately, be far too high. I only think it comes from a junction box because its route takes it to the garage loft nowhere near the consumer unit, however this loft is not boarded, it has no light either. At my age, I don't want to go into that loft.The MCB rating is 20A.

Sponsored Links
It would help to have a picture so I can see the situation.

Here is the photograph I promised.
006.jpg

If you don't want to go in the loft, and since the circuit is only 20amp, your main option is to fit either a socket or 30amp junction box above the window, and then from here a new length of 2.5mm2 T+E around the window to the existing socket.

Thank you, when you say junction box to effectively join the two 2.5mm2 T+E are you indicating using the round ceramic type or other? I am thinking to wire an in-line socket above the window might be that little bit ott simply because it would never be used as one would need ladders to get up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back