Lethargy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
I had a major bout of lethargy 18 months ago which turned out to be a thyroid issue. Apparently the upper thyroid limit is 6.5 and mine was 27 :eek: Anyway that was sorted and all was good up until a month or so ago. I assumed thyroid was an issue again but after a blood test it looks like I am OK on that front and don't have diabetes either :confused:

I can remember previous friends/colleagues talkingh about taking all manner of vitamins etc every day, but I never paid much attention as I thought they were just odd :D

Before I get to my question (I promise there is one!) I should say that I have a reasonably good diet, although I could do more on the fitness side and only get 'bevvied' at the weekend.

So my questions are these, do you or have you suffered from lethargy , and If so what did you do about it ? Does anyone take regular vitamin or other supplements to put a kick in their stride? If so what do you take ?

I suppose this wouldn't bother me if I was a work shy layabout, but I work damned hard and it's starting to annoy me :mad:

NB. Please note I am looking for advice/info on legal vitamins, not anything dodgy from Morocco / Columbia :eek:

Sponsored Links
over active thyroid would mean you were burning calories faster than you take them in?

do you eat lots?

things like oats give a slow energy release rather than a sugar rush..

something in daylight makes a vitamin that you can't otherwise get from food and such, which is why you feel more lethergic in winter and more energetic in summer..

so spend a few hours outside on a nice day if you can rather that slaving away all day indoors..

Totally agree with coljack- sunshine does wonders for your health and mood. I get lethargic when the rain on my rooflight continues day after day like last summer.

Think i have it but i am too lazy to go to doctors and find out

Sponsored Links
So my questions are these, do you or have you suffered from lethargy

Nah, can't be ar5ed !!

Don't understand why you were feeling tired with hyperthyroidism (which can be chronic or acute) an elevated level of thyroxine should make you hyper, lose weight, be unable to sleep, sweat profusely, be anxious, conversley an underactive thyroid will make you sleepy, gain weight etc.

You are just getting old - join the club.

You are just getting old - join the club.

Bugga! If only I had realised. Perhaps I'm just in denial :LOL:

Point taken about the sun, but locked away in an office that isn't much of an option.

I take it none of you take a medley of ginko bil-thingamyjig etc etc ?

you can get some SAD lamps for the office fittings... cost a fortune but if you can get a doctor to sign you up as having SAD, then the company has to provide them I think... or fire you... :!

Avoid alcohol at all costs, drink plenty of water and juices are the obvious things.

Also, hate to mention it, but the word "stress" comes to mind, especially if you work in an office and don't do enough active things.

I had a major bout of lethargy 18 months ago which turned out to be a thyroid issue. Apparently the upper thyroid limit is 6.5 and mine was 27

That does not make sense.

If you are talking about free T4 (the active form of thyroxine), then preferred levels are between 12-22 pmol/L (approx).

pmol/L = picomoles per litre btw!

27 would mean slight hyperthyroidism (over-active thyroid gland).

Similarly, <12 pmol/L would mean hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid gland).

Your lethargy (if due to thyroid problems) would be due to hypo, not hyper, thyroidism.

something in daylight makes a vitamin that you can't otherwise get from food

Sunlight stimulates the body to produce Vit D. As it occurs naturally only in very small amounts (some meat, fish & eggs), it is added to certain foods.

Breakfast cereals, margerine and SMP are three examples.

I had a major bout of lethargy 18 months ago which turned out to be a thyroid issue. Apparently the upper thyroid limit is 6.5 and mine was 27

That does not make sense.

If you are talking about free T4 (the active form of thyroxine), then preferred levels are between 12-22 pmol/L (approx).

pmol/L = picomoles per litre btw!

27 would mean slight hyperthyroidism (over-active thyroid gland).

Similarly, <12 pmol/L would mean hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid gland).

Your lethargy (if due to thyroid problems) would be due to hypo, not hyper, thyroidism.

something in daylight makes a vitamin that you can't otherwise get from food

Sunlight stimulates the body to produce Vit D. As it occurs naturally only in very small amounts (some meat, fish & eggs), it is added to certain foods.

Breakfast cereals, margerine and SMP are three examples.

Margerine only has vit D added as the low fat nature of these spreads leaches vitamin D away from the body. I have not eaten Margerine for 20 years, just stick to pure butter. (mind you I have clogged up arteries, and am chronically overweight ;))

Here in the UK, vitamin D is added to margarine by law (Excuse my previous mis-spelling).

This is because butter is a source of vit D & it was added to marge as marge is a common butter replacement.

Originally, vitamin D was added to margarine to reduce the incidence of rickets and osteomalacia in parts of this country.

Most vitamin D is obtained from the action of sunlight on the skin, but some groups of people have less exposure to sunlight, eg some children and older people, particularly if they live in the northern parts of this country.

... some groups of people have less exposure to sunlight, eg some children and older people, particularly if they live in the northern parts of this country.
Not forgetting the troglodytes west of Shrewsbury...

Sponsored Links
Back