Life for Death by Dangerous Driving?

I'm using an extreme scenario to make my point. When you read articles about someone driving who runs into pedestrians or another vehicle and kills people, and it transpires they're banned from driving, were driving under the influence of drink/drugs, doing 70 in a 30 then yes, I'd assert they should be locked up for longer than 14 years.

Some of the sentencing we currently see around this is nothing short of pathetic.

Sponsored Links
For the purpose of debate anyone using the term excess speed and speeding interchangeably probably doesn’t understand casualty stats data. Speeding (going above the limit) is rarely a contributing factor, excess speed (going too fast for the conditions). Usually is a factor. I don’t really need a speedo to drive safely. I need to know if I can stop or not in the distance I can see is clear.

For speeding to be dangerous it has to be quite high.

What I’m interested to know is if we think someone doing 110mph on a motorway, loses control, crashes and kills their passenger, should do life.

People who fight in pubs and kill generally don’t.

Push bikes probably cause numerous accidents , head down b*m up brigade causing no end of havoc on the roads

people riding horses on the public high way , they have no control over the horse ?

there is one dopey woman down this way who rides a hand cycle on the road , comes out in the morning rush hour

danger to her self and every one else

Sponsored Links
Push bikes probably cause numerous accidents , head down b*m up brigade causing no end of havoc on the roads

people riding horses on the public high way , they have no control over the horse ?

there is one dopey woman down this way who rides a hand cycle on the road , comes out in the morning rush hour

danger to her self and every one else
Take all the motor vehicles off the roads (including your unsafe American tat), replace them with push bikes and deaths will come down dramatically.

Just sayin.

For the purpose of debate anyone using the term excess speed and speeding interchangeably probably doesn’t understand casualty stats data. Speeding (going above the limit) is rarely a contributing factor, excess speed (going too fast for the conditions). Usually is a factor. I don’t really need a speedo to drive safely. I need to know if I can stop or not in the distance I can see is clear.

For speeding to be dangerous it has to be quite high.

What I’m interested to know is if we think someone doing 110mph on a motorway, loses control, crashes and kills their passenger, should do life.

People who fight in pubs and kill generally don’t.
This may well be true for you as an individual driver, however laws, legislation and policy needs to cover the masses. Just yesterday I was out with my mum for a leisurely drive along the coast. Oops sorry, I didn't mean to type the word leisurely as it can rarely be applied to driving anywhere these days. If you dare to drive on or around the designated speed limit, even a few mph over, almost guaranteed within a short while you have someone on your tail. I mean, how dare anyone drive near the speed limit.

On the way home it came on really heavy rain, the country roads were struggling to shift it. I'd say I was doing 40ish, following 2-3 cars in front. That didn't stop a guy in a small van settling a few feet from my tail. He must be some sort of god-like driver, to know he can stop safely if I'd had to brake suddenly.

I've maybe gone a bit OT. My point is, whether drivers are competent or not, many of them drive like idiots to varying degrees. Surely many of us on here drive in built up areas on a regular basis. You're trying to tell me cars aren't darting around here there everywhere at excessive speed, not leaving sufficient gaps etc? Just try watching some of the compilation videos on YT, many of those that post videos thinking someone else is in the wrong seem oblivious to the fact they themselves are often a contributing factor to the incident.

To your other point re doing 110mph and crashing, thus killing the passenger. Life? It would depend on all the factors.

Take all the motor vehicles off the roads (including your unsafe American tat), replace them with push bikes and deaths will come down dramatically.

Just sayin.

take all the sober drivers off the road and deaths will come down dramatcally

just saying

make cars more dangerous and you could cut deaths ??

but a spike on the steering wheel pointed directly at yer chest , ban seat belts ?????????

Here's an example of how most of you don't think right . . . .

Someone driving their car fast is probably concentrating more on that driving than someone driving along well within the speed limit.

I would much rather be sharing the road with that speeding driver than someone trying to control 3x feral children while checking out who likes their latest masterpiece post on soshal meedya.

Someone driving their car fast is probably concentrating more on that driving than someone driving along well within the speed limit.
But can they predict the random and inconsistent patterns of a child's behaviour or that of a dodgy cyclist? The answer is always NO (to those of us who actually think).

Speed is ALWAYS a factor.

then he probably won't kill someone and probably won't to to prison for life

he probably thinks he's a better than average driver and probably doesn't consider himself obliged to comply with the law

he probably doesn't know that a car travelling at higher speeds is probably far more likely to crush and kill whatever it happens to strike.

Sponsored Links
Back