Here's why I don't support the death sentence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For those who are found guilty of committing heinous crimes, I advocate whole life tariffs as mentioned in other threads. One reason is I actually think it's more of a punishment for the perpetrator than the death penalty. Whilst I don't advocate breaking rocks 23 hours a day, nether do I advocate prisons that are on the 'too comfortable' side, especially for those who have committed more serious crime. There's a balance to be found to ensure the prisoner is fully aware, each day, that they are being punished.

In the following case, I'm sure many people at the time would have been screaming for this person to be strung up and left to die. Neither do I subscribe to the notion of 'ah well, if a few innocent people get the death penalty along the way, it's still worth it.' People maybe wouldn't think that way if they found themselves locked up for a crime they didn't commit.

Sponsored Links
Yup, not an easy one.
Police get away with all sorts, because they have the power and the incompetence.

OTOH
I've always wondered if suicide pills should be available to prisoners - my father's idea. Lots of pros and cons to that!

No doubt there will be some coming back with the 'absolute proof' argument for state murder...

But funnily enough they can never come up with a definition of absolute proof...

Agree that life should mean life, but a person's continued existence means that an appeal can still be heard...

Especially when the technology is constantly evolving...

Of course it's difficult to prove innocence when 'authority' has to be dragged kicking and screaming over the decades before it admits it made a mistake...

But when was the last time that an individual or individuals were held to account over a miscarriage of justice?

Absolute proof required

There after bump em off

Lee rigby murderers 100% guilty

David amiss murderer 100% guilty

Joe cox murderer 100% guilty

6 year old french boy thrown off a roof

Perp ‘ 100% guilty

No ifs buts maybes none what so ever

So bump them off simples

Sponsored Links
When are people going to realise the police are not responsible for the punishment the guilty people receive?
Police collect evidence and track down suspects then detain them whilst investigations continue.

The people partly responsible for sentencing and incorrect incarceration are the judiciary, including defence and prosecution layers, whilst the judge has to adhere to set rules.

Since the abolition of the death penalty in Britain the number of murders, attempted murders and threats to murder have increased dramatically. There can be no denying the fact that the death penalty was a deterrent.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ment_data/file/116649/rec-crime-1898-2002.xls
Do those figures include all those children killed by the carers in so called "children's homes that were never reported"?
Dos it include the bodies that are still being found, that were reported and presumed missing?
Does it take into account changes in demographics?
Does it take into account improved police reporting and detection?

The answer to all this is an emphatic "NO!"
You are conveniently ignoring the warning in B3
Recorded crime figures are affected by changes in levels of reporting to the police and recording by them, and this should be borne in mind when looking at long-term trends.
Once again you demonstrated your ability and willingness to exploit and misrepresent data to suit your own narrative and propagate your own perverted ideology.

Any one responsible for the early release of a person jailed for violence who re offends should be held to account and jailed

Oh so you are of the opinion that those I named are not guilty

:rolleyes:
Because something is not blue, does not mean that is automatically red. :rolleyes:

Who are you today - the fooking Riddler?
I'd call it a parable or an analogy.
It's comparing one ridiculous assumption with another example of a ridiculous assumption.
Transam made a ridiculous assumption, and I compared it to another ridiculous example.
I'm surprised I'm having to explain the use of a parable or an analogy to you. I thought you had the intelligence to understand such examples.

Sponsored Links
Back