Light fitting connection query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing a new light fitting yesterday, it worked fine but it then wouldn't turn off so I'd obviously mistakenly wired it with the switch live somehow. Wires and connections seen below;

Light-fitting.jpg

I'd previously put the 3 brown wires into the live terminal as well as the blue wire with the brown sleeve. What's the error I've made here? Googling some places suggests I should only connect that switch live wire and then tape off the 3 remaining live wires - is that right? I thought it was worth double-checking here before trying anything!

Sponsored Links
The sleeved blue is most likely the switched live and connects into the "L" terminal The other three browns should be connected together with something like a 3-way wago connector - definitely not "taped" together.

upload_2020-11-24_11-23-13.png

Blue with Brown sleeve into L Other three Browns into the extra terminal block.

Check the switch for this lamp as it may have been damaged as it was connected between Live and Neutral when all 4 Browns were connected together,

View attachment 212583

Blue with Brown sleeve into L Other three Browns into the extra terminal block.

Check the switch for this lamp as it may have been damaged as it was connected between Live and Neutral when all 4 Browns were connected together,

There was no mention of connecting lives to neutrals. I think the writer would have advised if he's blown the switch off the wall or his CU breaker had tripped

Sponsored Links
The razor sharp edges of that hole in the metal need to be covered, or preferably cut properly and a grommet fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back