Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So moved into a 1930s house, in the process of doing it up and trying to do as much as possible myself
I've got little knowledge in general around DIY hence hitting a snag and wanting some guidance
please see photos

So from research
I can see is that old electrics seem to only have the neutral and live wire which this does, new electrics have a earth wire which I believe is now standards regs from 60s on wards I think
The light fitting has an earth wire but has clearly been hooked into the metal plate with out anything keeping it sturdy, which I believe you can do to an earth wire but the not unsturdy part doesn't seem right to me
The reason I got to the point of checking this is that when the light is switched on, sometimes it wont turn on and when it does it goes of again, however when I unplugged it the light stayed on for ages but the earth wire is the only thing that's likely to be the cause as its the only thing not fixed and moveable?

I've seen people suggest fixing it to the metal plate for security
Tape it up with electric tape
Fixing it into a terminal block but there's no wire for it to meet and earth after that?

I've also seen that any light fitting we get in the future has to be plastic or "insert special/appropriate DIY name here as I can't find the right name again :)" must be specially coated to deal with the lack of earth wire.

I've fixed a light fitting to a ceiling before however it had the right wires as it was a new build

Please can I get an idea of what I should be doing

Please make it as simple as possible I'm a novice :)

Thanks in advance

Cal

Attachments

• pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 278
  • pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 269
Sponsored Links
If there is not an earth wire in the supply cable - to which the light's earth wire should be connected - then you should not use that light.

Righteo that's upsetting lol is that cos its not industry regs standard or is there another reason? cos I presume that this must have been allowed at some point to have been used in first place?
Thanks for answering
Cal

It is perfectly fine with plastic light fittings.

It is your metal light that introduces a hazard.

Sponsored Links
Cool, thanks for your reply and expertise
What should I do to the loose earth wire?
Cos its not fixed and I feel like that's not right and its not taped up with electrical wire whats the best method(s) to making sure that cable is safe?
cos the light fitting turns on and of and I feel its to do with that?
Thanks
Cal

What should I do to the loose earth wire?
You must connect it to a supply earth wire.

cos the light fitting turns on and of and I feel its to do with that?
It is nothing to do with the working of the light.

It is a safety feature to disconnect the electricity should the light fitting itself become live, because of a fault, and prevent you getting a shock.

When you remove the light fitting the earth wire will also be removed so no problem.

However you need to check it's really connected to earth. Do you know how to do this?

Hey

thanks to all for writing back, I can only see two wires coming from my ceiling via the grey cable in the photo ( yeah sorry i didn't realize how blurry it was) however Ill take another look cos you could be right if that's the case let me check
I don't know how to check its earthed either "Novice" sorry to say how do I do this?

Thanks to all again

Cal

yeah taken the cover of and yeah there is somet there bent back, how I missed that I don't know, and why the last owners didn't plug it in i also don't know, might be speaking too soon but ill get the elec of and try and cut it back to see what the wire colour is, still let me know how to check its earthed though that would be helpful. I probs need a terminal block with more holes as there's only two and not three might have some spare somewhere

thanks

Cal

Andy thank you, answered my question before I was just about to ask. Yup bare. I found a spare terminal block, basically fit as was before plus the two earth wires?
Guessing that should go fine?
Thanks
Cal

Attachments

• 1601219785884340416308.jpg
    1601219785884340416308.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 240
Guessing this is right (before I put the light fitting on, does the earth wire require any more work? As it's bare?

Attachments

• 1601220212475257441173.jpg
    1601220212475257441173.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 254

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back