Light fitting wiring

1427150515379-P-2503379.jpg

Here's one you can actually see!

Sponsored Links
I have done this and established the wire with power which will be the switch?

Why are you looking for the power? You need to find the switch FIRST…..
Keep the fuse box off, and on continuity, test between a pair of red and blacks. Get a helper to operate the switch, once you get continuity with the switch on and don't with it off, that's your switch wire

I have done this with the wires switching the switch on and off and two of the wires read 1 and the other one would jump then drop jump then drop

Sponsored Links
You should be testing each pair of red and black.
So take one pair of the same T&E cable, test it as advised, if there is no difference, try another pair from a different T&E, if there is again no difference, try the third pair from the remaining T&E. One of those pair within one of the T&E cables will show a difference in reading with the switch on or off.
That is the pair going to the switch. The other two pairs are live and neutral, and go together.

The red of the pair that go to the switch also go with the other two lives, and the remaining black is the switch wire.

Only the neutrals and the switch wire are connected to your lamp.

The other two pairs are live and neutral, and go together.
Just to clarify, in case you misunderstand, the lives go together, and the neutrals go together.

The lives you'll need to connect together somehow, usually with a connector, because I doubt you'll have the facility within your new lamp.

So you should end up with 3 red (2 lives and a live feed to switch) together not connected to your lamp, 2 blacks (neutrals) together connected to your lamp, and one black, which is the switch wire also connected to your lamp.

The other two pairs are live and neutral, and go together.
Just to clarify, in case you misunderstand, the lives go together, and the neutrals go together.

The lives you'll need to connect together somehow, usually with a connector, because I doubt you'll have the facility within your new lamp.

So you should end up with 3 red (2 lives and a live feed to switch) together not connected to your lamp, 2 blacks (neutrals) together connected to your lamp, and one black, which is the switch wire also connected to your lamp.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-27-17-36-04.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-27-17-36-04.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 128
Spot on!
You can't rely on testing for power because only one red will be live and you'd still be uncertain which goes to switch.

Ah, that may change things. Are those two lights controlled from the same switch?

Did you identify the two switch wires yet?

Yes one is a single switch and one is a double - the single switch control's the front light and the double controls the back and the front. I have identified the switch wire in both

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back