light rose - 2 cables in

of course it was off when i took the old one down.

normal switch ... yes.

Just the 1 light.

Weird thing is, when i put the new face plate on the switch, it had red to common and black to L1, so i rewired it that way, and the switch didnt turn on after, so i swapped it over and it still didnt turn on. have i done something stupid? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Well, Sam, I don't want to be rude, but you may have. Smoke should not come out of your MM.

If you only have two cables feeding your rose, to id each is easy.

Terminate each conductor in a terminal block to make contact with probes easier.

With the power ON (and great care), set the MM to the range that covers mains voltage.

Make sure your probes are in the correct sockets on the MM (Usually Com and V for voltage and resistance measurements).

Now probe the two phase conductors (ie red/black or whatever coloursa they are) in each cable in turn. The ones that give you a reading around 230-240 odd mean that that cable is your feed. Now check the other.

Turn OFF the power, and set the MM to continuity. With the probes across the other pair of conductors, check that the reading is zero with the switch off and infinity with the switch on. Then mark the black (or whatever colour it is) with red sleeving.

Smoke should not come out of your MM.

You can do this by connecting a multimeter set to ohms between the red loop in block and the black wires in turn.

Assuming that he wasn't using a Fluke, or equivilant, ... measuring resistance across a 230V live circuit would cause plenty of smoke & bang!

got it working, the light switch was wired incorrectly.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
samgoffe said:
what if i dont have a multimeter
Do you bang nails in with the heel of a shoe because you don't own a hammer?

Do you use the point of a knife blade for screws, because you don't own a screwdriver?

Equip yourself with the appropriate tools and knowledge before doing things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back