light rose - 2 cables in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just taken a rose off the celing, looked at the cables, to copy for the new rose, but 1 of them has come out!!!

So now i dont know what cable does what.

I have 2 inlets of black and white.

On the rose, i have a Live, Loop and N chocolate box's.

On the old rose the 2 blacks connect are in different chocolate boxes

Sponsored Links
samgoffe said:
I have just taken a rose off the celing, looked at the cables, to copy for the new rose, but 1 of them has come out!!!

So now i dont know what cable does what.

I have 2 inlets of black and white.

On the rose, i have a Live, Loop and N chocolate box's.

On the old rose the 2 blacks connect are in different chocolate boxes
black and white? dont you mean black and red? anyway, both reds (possible white for you) should be together. blacks seperate connect to L and N of lamp. sw. black should be sleeved/taped red

Hi,

Sorry red and BLACK!

So put the 2 reds in Live. ?

Then 1 black in N the other in L ?

i dont quite follow what you want me to do.

Sorry, not up to scratch with my electrical skills!

Also, SW?

one of your blacks is a switched live, from a switch. This needs to connect to the "loop" terminal.

Connect the other black to neutral

and connect the 2 reds to live.

because the switched live is coloured black, it is advisable to put a red marker on it (such as a red sleeve), as this will indicate it is a switched live in future and avoid this confusion! ;)

when connecting the rose back up, connect the blue to the neutral and the brown to the loop (switched live).

Sponsored Links
ffs crafty get it the right way round

the two reds are the permanent lives and theese go in the centre block marked loop

the two blacks go via the blocks at the sides to the light flex. it would be good practice to identify which is neutral and which is switched live and connect them accordingly but its not crucial.

ok, i got 2 answers totally different !

can i get confirmation? dont want to blow my self up!

Connect the two red wires together and to nothing else (into the loop). You need to identify which of the black wires is the switched live. You can do this by connecting a multimeter set to ohms between the red loop in block and the black wires in turn. Get someone else to operate the light switch. When you see the meter change from high to low resistance when the light switch is operated, this is the switch wire. Label this wire with a red sleeve. This wire now goes into the L in the rose. The other black goes into the N in the rose. Brown flex - L and Blue flex - N.

You have two cables, one is the phase and neutral from the previous light and the other cable goes to the switch.
Connect both reds together in Loop and the one black from the switch to the live side of the light.
The other black goes to the neutral side of the light.

ok, i just found one!

2 reds are in LOOP.

Other 2 blacks are dangling.

if i put the red from the multimeter into the LOOP and in turn touch the black ones this happens....

1st cable, the multimeter goes mad, keeping trying to go negitave, bouncing back.

2nd cable gives a high reading.

This is the way with the switch in both positions!

Also the one where it bouces back has made my multimeter smoke!

samgoffe said:
what if i dont have a multimeter

What if I don't have a spirit level when I'm installing shelves?
What if I don't have axel stands when I'm fixing a car?
What if I don't have white spirit when cleaning paint brushes?

Adam_151 said:
samgoffe said:
what if i dont have a multimeter

What if I don't have a spirit level when I'm installing shelves?
What if I don't have axel stands when I'm fixing a car?
What if I don't have white spirit when cleaning paint brushes?

and what if i dont have a screwdriver and cutters when wiring a socket...

you can cleary see i said i found one and used it.

See my previous post.

I'm assuming you have the electricity turned off at the fuse box when you disconnected the ceiling rose? Is it a normal switch on this ckt? Is there more than one light on this switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back