Light stopped working- baffled!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light in my utility room that was working fine and has suddenly stopped working. It did not go off with a flash, the fuse board was not tripped and the bulbs are all ok. The wiring is as per the attached pic.

The double socket works ok so everythng in the series to this point must be fine. I have checked the following:

1. changed fuse on swicthed FCU - stil not work
2. checked connections in double socket, switched FCU and light fitting, all ok.
3. changed light fitting - nothing
4. changed cable from socket to FCU - still not work.

What else could it be? All I can think of is (a) problem with 1mm cable from switched FCU to light - this cable is visible (I removed it from conduit) and looks ok, or (b) problem with swicthed FCU itself?

Anyone think of anything else I can check?

Sponsored Links
You really need a multimeter to test for continuity of the cables. Make sure that you switch the mains OFF first!
If you do not have a multi-meter then a "lamp and battery" will do. Check each individual conductor in turn.

From what you say the cable between the FCU and light is suspect. If you do not have a multi-meter or lamp and battery, you could try to put a temporary cable in place, connected between the FCU and the light.

Sponsored Links
I will certainly try putting a temporary cable between FCU and light - cant imagine how cable could have become damaged though - as I said, I pulled it from it's trunking and there were no visible signs of damage.

Dont worry I always switch the mains off before I touch anything! :D

stupid question... did you change the fuse more than once? it's very possible to pick up a duff fuse...
as you have now changed the fitting, if there was a fault with the original ont it would have blown the fuse again as soon as switched on.. a new fuse again might fix it..

IF you want to work on your electrics then a meter is as essential as screwdrivers and wire strippers etc.

Just like (I assume ;) ) you wouldn't think it right to use the points of knives and your teeth instead of those, you shouldn't think it right not to have a multimeter. You can pick them up in the sheds for next to nothing, but IHNI how good they are (quite possibly not very).

You might want to consider this: http://www.beha.com/files_d/sets/1333.pdf

Looks ideal for a household starter set - multimeter, voltage indicator and dedicated continuity tester, all in a handy case.

Couldn't find details of the set in English, but all 3 individual instruments are listed.

http://www.beha.com/files_uk/multimeter/93549.pdf

http://www.beha.com/files_uk/voltagetesters/6741.pdf

http://www.beha.com/files_uk/continuitytesters/9023.pdf

Also see another discussion here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26282

Thanks for the advice.

I put a temp cable between the switched FCU and the light in last night and still nothing.

It must be the FCU - quite possibly the fuse as metioned - I took out the 3A fuse that was in there and put in a 5A (all I had liynig around) just to test it. I guess I should get another 3A and try that before I get a new FCU.

On multimeters - I dont really intend working on my electrics! Just have to do a bit of trouble shooting now and again but I probably should think about getting one anyway. If this fuse thing doesnt work I will probs be able to borrow one from a mate.

It's no good fitting new fuses and thinking that you then have a good fuse fitted (as Coljack said). You may have a nice collection of duff fuses or the new fuse that you fit may instantly blow. You need a multimeter, a lamp and battery or even a known serviceable table lamp to use as a fuse tester.
I suspect that the later will suit better if you are not going to buy a cheap multimeter. Just test each of your spare fuses by fitting them into the table lamp 13 amp plug one at a time. As you are only "testing" it is Ok to test 3 amp, 5 amp and 13amp fuses this way.
Now, make sure that the fuse in the utility room circuit is OK using this method, then check all of your spare fuses and throw away any that fail the test.

If your circuit is blowing fuses then you still have a short-circuit.

If the lamp is a bayonet lamp ( not a screw in one ) then, with the power turned OFF check that the two spring loaded contacts that make contact with the lamp are still free to move in and out and still have spring pressure pushing them out.

Utility rooms often have high levels of humidity and condensation forms. The small springs in the contacts may have rusted away.

On multimeters - I dont really intend working on my electrics! Just have to do a bit of trouble shooting now and again but I probably should think about getting one anyway. If this fuse thing doesnt work I will probs be able to borrow one from a mate.
They're worth having or you could be looking for fault forever. :LOL:

A cheapo one like this from Maplins will only set you back a few quid and will be fine for your "troubleshooting now and again". ;)

I'll try the fuse in the lamp plug and if I am still out of luck I think I will buy a multi-meter..... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back