LIGHT SWITCH >>DOUBLE SOCKET CONVERSION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have an extreme shortage of plug sockets in my house & the ones I do have are overloaded but am in desperate need of a double socket on one side of my hallway as the sockets all appear to be on the other side (sods law) - However there is a single light switch which never gets used on this side - Is is possible to convert it into a double socket switch instead & if so can someone explain how to do it?? I am quite familiar with electrics as long as the lingo is kept simple & non technical.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Simi :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Also because the light circuit will be fused at 5 or 6 amps, and run in thin wire, so an appliance on a 13A fuse will probably blow it quickly.

Do you have concrete or wooden floors?Do you live in a house or a flat?

miameow said:
I am quite familiar with electrics

evidentaly you are noit, if you were you would already know the answer to your question

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Also because the light circuit will be fused at 5 or 6 amps, and run in thin wire, so an appliance on a 13A fuse will probably blow it quickly.

Do you have concrete or wooden floors?Do you live in a house or a flat?

Hi there,
The walls are plaster & I live in an old cottage.
Thanks

Have a look at Screwfix. They do 3 socket and 4 socket convertors which go onto single socket back boxes.

Lets get one thing straight..

A light switch cannot be converted into a socket of any description at any time for any reason UNLESS the switch wiring is removed and the point rewired in cable appropriate to the use you wish to put it too, further most light switch boxes are only 16mm deep, a box for a socket needs to be a minimum of 25mm deep, so the box would likely require replacing and that would mean the hole chased out too.

If you want a socket on the other side of your hallway, you should either get an electrician to permanently wire in a point, or install an extension lead to supply the power you need.

Do not be naive in your belief that you understand electricity and electrical installation work, if you actually understood as much as you think you do, then you would never have asked such a question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back