Light switch move - the result

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted a thread a while ago:

//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/move-light-switch-upwards-any-advice-please.381276/

There was much dispute about, strangely enough, the socket protectors, and questions over my taste in decor.

This was the end result:

12780232105_7cb19eb3e9_b.jpg

And here is a nice shot, that ban-all-sheds will appreciate:

12780675314_df27396e2a_b.jpg

[/img]

Sponsored Links
IMO it looks a lot better painted, you'd be better changing the socket to an MK brand and throwing the protector things in the bin.

Yea, the cheapy looking sockets and switches let it down, but that's a sparky thing. :D

My brother in law has this wall panelling, and it looks fine. Not everyone's cup of tea, but that's the beauty of decor!

I too hate those socket protecters, most children can easily pull them out anyway! My misses has to use them in her nursery, but is fully aware of the reasons she shouldn't, but is tied up in so many ways that she has to! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I actually think it looks alright. Funnily enough, post decorating, the socket destroyers now look a bit tacky. They don't even match!

I think with the style of the doors, skirting, coving, etc., the panelling and dado look very nice.

I hate to flog a dead horse but please do remove those socket 'protectors'. My brother removed one from a socket in his house and the earth pin snapped where it was moulded to the back. This then left a socket that had the live and neutral exposed and only a flick of the switch away from being very dangerous to anyone with a paperclip to play with... Some modern sockets have separate sprung covers for each hole (MK for example) but older and cheaper ones often don't have that extra protection. The 'protectors' often have an oversized earth pin to hold them in securely, but undersized live and neutral pins so they are not impossible to insert/remove. If left in the sockets they damage the receptacles and lead to high resistance in a place you are unlikely to notice it until it causes a fire/injury/death. They are horrid dangerous things designed purely to cash in on concerned but ill-informed parents that should be handed in to trading standards for destruction whenever you find them.

My misses has to use them in her nursery, but is fully aware of the reasons she shouldn't, but is tied up in so many ways that she has to! :rolleyes:
She should just turn round to whoever insists on them being used and ask them to sign a disclaimer absolving her of all liability for the dangerous situation they are insisting she create. I suspect that once someone had to put their neck on the line for something they've been advised is dangerous then they will change their mind.

http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk

It's not that simple though is it! You want your licensing, and your oftead registration, and have to adhere to policies. I am told Oftead are investigating this matter though.

People need educating too, as if most folk entered a nursery and saw sockets unprotected, they would immediately assume negligence.

In purpose built nurseries, socket positions are carefully chosen.

I actually think it looks alright. Funnily enough, post decorating, the socket destroyers now look a bit tacky. They don't even match!

True, I need brushed metal sockets now to match the door furniture.

Socket protector stuff has been done to death - see the other thread. I explained the draw backs, but the wife still wants to keep em.

The picture was there purely for the enjoyment of a particular poster.

It's not that simple though is it! You want your licensing, and your oftead registration, and have to adhere to policies. I am told Oftead are investigating this matter though.

People need educating too, as if most folk entered a nursery and saw sockets unprotected, they would immediately assume negligence.

If an Ofsted inspector is telling a nursery that they should use socket covers, then they are actually ignoring Ofsted instructions. It is a myth that Ofsted require their use, that has never been Ofsted policy, but it has not stopped some Ofsted inspectors making up their own rules. Ofsted has instructed their inspectors that "Inspectors should not set actions or make recommendations in relation to the use of socket covers and should not refer specifically to these in their reports." See page 11 of this Ofsted document for full details: http://tinyurl.com/ofstedpolicy

We should also try to avoid the expression "unprotected" when referring to empty BS 1363 sockets, they are, after all, fully protected by the internal shutters. The only "unprotected" BS 1363 sockets are those with plug-in socket covers inserted!

For more information on the importance of correctly sized pins, see this IET article: http://tinyurl.com/plugsize - and for more on the damage that can be caused to the more sophisticated sockets like MK and Hager, see: http://tinyurl.com/socketdamage

We should also try to avoid the expression "unprotected" when referring to empty BS 1363 sockets, they are, after all, fully protected by the internal shutters. The only "unprotected" BS 1363 sockets are those with plug-in socket covers inserted!

Absolutely! Thanks Freddy.

Funny how people feel it's okay to interfere with the protective shutters on socket-outlets, but if you suggested that they did something similar with a gas tap, jam a stick into the gas pipe or something, they'd (rightly) laugh at you.

Funny how people feel it's okay to interfere with the protective shutters on socket-outlets, but if you suggested that they did something similar with a gas tap, jam a stick into the gas pipe or something, they'd (rightly) laugh at you.
Perhaps - but that's not a terribly good analogy. If the electrical case is anything to go by, if the shops/internet were offering commercially-produced 'safety covers' to attach to the ends of unused ('self-sealing') gas bayonet connectors, I'm quite sure that some people would buy and use them!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back