Move light switch upwards - any advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing 'Easipanel' panelling in my hallway.

I have successfully fitted it around electrical points etc. so far.

My current problem is that at one end of the hallway a light switch is high enough to easily clear the panelling and dado rail.

But, for some reason, near the living room door the light switch is a reasonable amount lower. I have attached a picture that shows the switch. The dado has not been installed on this section but is about 50mm in height.

I could cut into the dado to clear the light switch. But, I'd like to move the light switch upwards.

I would like to know if its possible to tell here if it would still be in the 'safe zone' if I did this. I assume there is going to be enough cable slack if the cable comes from above?

My plastering skills are limited. I do have basic tools (plaster board knife/saw etc) and i have built a 'fake' chimney breast before (dry lined) but this didn't involve patching an area like this. Would the best approach be to try and cut the back box out, mark up the new position and then saw upwards?

How would it be best to patch up the remaining cut out area once the back box is moved?

10522868565_a007ecfc6b_h.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
You say "saw upwards."

Do you know it is plasterboard?

Is it dry-lined or dot and dab?

Cable will still be running to a visible accessory so permitted zone is not an issue PROVIDED there are no horizontal cables.

Cut out the new box hole very carefully in case you slice through the buried cable.

Polyfiller will fill the hole.

Sponsored Links
Cable will still be running to a visible accessory so permitted zone is not an issue PROVIDED there are no horizontal cables.

Cut out the new box hole very carefully in case you slice through the buried cable.

Polyfiller will fill the hole.

Thanks

I am installing 'Easipanel' panelling in my hallway .... i have built a 'fake' chimney breast before
:confused:

One of the regulars will be along soon to tell you how horribly dangerous those things stuffed into the sockets are, how you'd be better off without them and how they should be banned.

I guess you don't need to make good extra-neatly, as the gap will be covered by dado.

Will you raise the box just enough so the bottom of the switch plate is resting on the dado?

You could put a small length of timber in the hole a screw it in place either side, screwing the waste plasterboard you remove from the new switch position in the hole.

Oh, hang on, scrap that! The dado is only 50mm. You only want to move it up a smidges.... ;)

I am installing 'Easipanel' panelling in my hallway .... i have built a 'fake' chimney breast before
:confused:

One of the regulars will be along soon to tell you how horribly dangerous those things stuffed into the sockets are, how you'd be better off without them and how they should be banned.

I think you need to read my question. Nowhere was I soliciting for advice in what I had plugged into the electrical sockets.

Not sure what the puzzled face is for....keyboard warrior at work here obviously.

I guess you don't need to make good extra-neatly, as the gap will be covered by dado.

Will you raise the box just enough so the bottom of the switch plate is resting on the dado?

You could put a small length of timber in the hole a screw it in place either side, screwing the waste plasterboard you remove from the new switch position in the hole.

Oh, hang on, scrap that! The dado is only 50mm. You only want to move it up a smidges.... ;)

Sounds like a good idea; I will be moving it up a little more as I want to clear the dado by at least 20mm or so.

I think you need to read my question. Nowhere was I soliciting for advice in what I had plugged into the electrical sockets.
I think you need to realise that people are free to give you whatever advice they think you need, especially if they believe you are putting people's lives at risk.

Not sure what the puzzled face is for
It was just an observation.

I think you need to realise that people are free to give you whatever advice they think you need, especially if they believe you are putting people's lives at risk.

Not sure what the puzzled face is for
It was just an observation.

My wife puts them in the sockets. We have small children. Their presence means the children are now disinterested in the sockets, whereas previously they found them fascinating. No children have so far died. I am well away of the fact that they can be removed and inserted the wrong way up, this opening the live and neutral pin sockets. I am also aware of the fact the existing socket has built in protection against this. I have also explained this to my wife. Thank you for your concern. I feel touched.

I don't think the puzzled face qualifies as an observation. Exactly what are you conveying?

My wife puts them in the sockets. We have small children. Their presence means the children are now disinterested in the sockets, whereas previously they found them fascinating. No children have so far died. I am well away of the fact that they can be removed and inserted the wrong way up, this opening the live and neutral pin sockets. I am also aware of the fact the existing socket has built in protection against this. I have also explained this to my wife. Thank you for your concern. I feel touched.
That's an interesting reaction from your children. My daughter had the opposite response from her children, which I put down to her paying less attention to the children playing with a 'non-electrical' thing plugged into the socket than she did to them trying to play with a 13A plug.
Please be aware that as well as the risk you mention, these devices often damage the socket-outlets they are plugged into, leading to overheating.

No children have so far died.
That's the way it is with risks.

I am well away of the fact that they can be removed and inserted the wrong way up, this opening the live and neutral pin sockets. I am also aware of the fact the existing socket has built in protection against this.
So you are aware that they can make things worse. Are you aware that they can damage sockets?

I have also explained this to my wife.
//search.diynot.com/forum_sear...hor=FatallyFlawed&search=Search+Forum&stype=0

Thank you for your concern. I feel touched.
Maybe you are.

I don't think the puzzled face qualifies as an observation.
I do.

The name of the smiley might be "Confused", and the code for it might be
:?, but to me it looks like a wry smile.

No children have so far died.
That's the way it is with risks.

I am well away of the fact that they can be removed and inserted the wrong way up, this opening the live and neutral pin sockets. I am also aware of the fact the existing socket has built in protection against this.
So you are aware that they can make things worse. Are you aware that they can damage sockets?

I have also explained this to my wife.
//search.diynot.com/forum_sear...hor=FatallyFlawed&search=Search+Forum&stype=0

Thank you for your concern. I feel touched.
Maybe you are.

I don't think the puzzled face qualifies as an observation.
I do.

The name of the smiley might be "Confused", and the code for it might be
:?, but to me it looks like a wry smile.

A wry smile? Maybe they should do a 'condescending with an overall feeling of superiority' emoticon for you...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back