Light switches don’t look right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just unscrewed a few metal faced light switches to paint some walls (after turning off the circuit) and it looks like some wires have come loose, even though I was pretty gentle. The first pic, there is a brown cable near the bottom of the switch, and the second pic there is a loose brown and the top brown cable isn’t properly secured either. Also, despite there being a screw to earth the face plate the earths are’t connected to it. I am not familiar with electrics and am not sure how to wire these up properly. What should I do?

Attachments

• A285E678-7978-4E1A-9F6F-526C9FA909B3.jpeg
    A285E678-7978-4E1A-9F6F-526C9FA909B3.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 188
  • CC7EC21B-CE23-46AE-BACD-CB99C52FBC98.jpeg
    CC7EC21B-CE23-46AE-BACD-CB99C52FBC98.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 186
Sponsored Links
The earth wires must be connected to the faceplate earth terminal.

I would think that in the first picture the loose wire goes in the switch bottom terminal, and

in the second picture the loose wire goes in the top terminal with the other wire

so that both switches are wired the same.

If I am wrong nothing dangerous will happen, the switches just will not work as they should.

Mark the wires first so that they do not get mixed up.

The earth wires must be connected to the faceplate earth terminal.

I would think that in the first picture the loose wire goes in the switch bottom terminal, and

in the second picture the loose wire goes in the top terminal with the other wire

so that both switches are wired the same.

If I am wrong nothing dangerous will happen, the switches just will not work as they should.

Mark the wires first so that they do not get mixed up.
So does the loose wire here go in the free connection to the right? Its marked L2 ( I’m guessing it doesnt go in the same connection as the black)

Attachments

• 9E93552B-B882-4537-83A6-16152A15F2F9.jpeg
    9E93552B-B882-4537-83A6-16152A15F2F9.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 101
Well, probably, try it - but

I hadn't realised from the previous picture that there were so many wires.

It is an unusual wiring and colour arrangement so I don't know what it is supposed to do.

Does this switch operate a light also operated by another switch?

Sponsored Links
Well, probably, try it - but

I hadn't realised from the previous picture that there were so many wires.

It is an unusual wiring and colour arrangement so I don't know what it is supposed to do.

Does this switch operate a light also operated by another switch?

it operates several led downlights and a bathroom extractor, but there is only one switch that operates them, there is an isolator for the fan though

In that case, I would think the loose Brown goes in with the Black.
Well they both work OK now, thanks. Does that mean they are definitely wired up correctly? I had a look at some more switches and none of them are earthed… the metal face plate does have a plastic liner though

Well they both work OK now. Does that mean they are definitely wired up correctly?
I suppose so.

I had a look at some more switches and none of them are earthed… the metal face plate does have a plastic liner though
The earth wires must be connected to the faceplate.

A liner inside isn't going to prevent you touching the metal.

The earth wires must be connected to the faceplate.

A liner inside isn't going to prevent you touching the metal.

So can I just go round all the switches and add a wire from the terminal block that they've shoved all the earths into , to the screw on the back of the metal faceplate? Most of the back boxes are plastic. Not sure if they earthed the metal ones

So can I just go round all the switches and add a wire from the terminal block that they've shoved all the earths into , to the screw on the back of the metal faceplate? Most of the back boxes are plastic.

Yes, a short link wire from the bunch of earth wires, to the terminal on the switch will do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back