Light switches puzzle

so lets have a look :-

1. no red sleeving on yellow/blue conductors
2. too much copper exposed on switch terminals
3. conductors cut bit too short for my liking
4. no sign of any earth sleeving on 1st picture
5. no intermediate switch fitted
6. different makes of switches fitted so will look gash

The only point with any relevance is number 5. The rest are cosmetic, and don't affect the working of the circuit. I do agree that it's a bit of a rough job.

Sponsored Links

The only point with any relevance is number 5. The rest are cosmetic, and don't affect the working of the circuit. I do agree that it's a bit of a rough job.

Have to disagree.
Sleeve markings are not cosmetic, they serve a vital purpose.
Exposed copper is dangerous for obvious reasons.
Short conductors can be dislodged if the switch is removed for any reason and therefore cannot be checked as to original location.
Earth sleeving necessary for obvious reasons.

We should have some sympathy for the original tradesman. If the old saying is to be believed he has to wear an ileostomy bag.

Have to disagree.
Sleeve markings are not cosmetic, they serve a vital purpose.
Exposed copper is dangerous for obvious reasons.
Short conductors can be dislodged if the switch is removed for any reason and therefore cannot be checked as to original location.
Earth sleeving necessary for obvious reasons.

My post was answering the original question. The only reason the lights come on when the switches are in a certain position is the the middle switch is the wrong type.

The missing sleeves don't affect the operation of the switches. Before you ask, I am aware of their purpose.
The short conductors could be dislodged, but the pics don't show this.
The conductors should be pushed in further to cover the exposed copper, but they are not life threatening (unless the circuit was energised when the photos were taken).

FWIW, I would fit the intermedite and sort out the other issues as a matter of course.

Sponsored Links
My post was answering the original question. The only reason the lights come on when the switches are in a certain position is the the middle switch is the wrong type.

Well if we are going to be picky about other peoples posts, this isn't the only reason the switches aren't working correctly.

The wiring at the 3rd switch is also incorrect.
And possibly an intermediate switch there incorrectly

AndyPRK";p="2234321 said:

Well if we are going to be picky about other peoples posts, this isn't the only reason the switches aren't working correctly.

The wiring at the 3rd switch is also incorrect.
And possibly an intermediate switch there incorrectly[/quote

I was really pointing out that the incorrect wiring was causing the problem and that the other bits were things that should be addressed, but don't affect the operation of the circuit. I don't think any of us would be surprised to take off a faceplate and find no sleeving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back