Lighting Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed an extractor fan as i am replacing it with a centralised ventalation unit. The extractor was operated when the light switch was on - no isolator. When removing the extractor it was disconnected from the junction box pictured. the cable with terminals on the left was connected to the extractor which then fed into the junction box. I am now having problems with a set of lights staying on that has something to do with removing the extractor - for the life of me I can't work out what Is going on. It is not the set of lights that was controlled by the switch but one in an adjacent room. If anyone can advise how this may have been wired that would be great.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
If I reconnect the fan the lights switch off. How would I tell what cable is for either switch. I have tried using my meter across the brown and blue wire in each cable and flicking the switch to see if I can find which one is switched to no avail.

Use a piece of terminal block for the earths, not wrapped together and taped up :mad:

Sponsored Links
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html

ASJ804.JPG

Personally, i'd disconnect everything and use your meter to find out which one is the live feed, which one's are the switch wires and reterminate the cables in a junction box(es) like the one above. It needs inproving may as well re-do it correctly. Look in the wiki if you get stuck. Or repost in here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back