lighting wires above or below acoustic mineral wool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a 1978 Artex plasterboard ceiling with Soundbloc plasterboard on resilient bars and 100mm of acoustic mineral wool.
  • Do I run the lighting cables next to the plasterboard or on top of the mineral wool?
    Do I need to increase the conductor size?

Sponsored Links
In general and if possible cables should be run on top of insulation to avoid derating but if it's 1.5mm cable on a 6A MCB then they will be fine under 100mm glass wool.

Sponsored Links
Cables normally go above insulation where possible, but for a 6A lighting circuit it won't make any difference.

1.5mm cable on a 6A MCB
That reminds me - as an unqualified DIYer, I don't think I can modify the consumer unit (old fuse box). Is it normal to retrofit modern consumer units to 32 year old wiring?

In theory, anyone can replace a consumer unit, provided they notify building control first.
In reality, changing a consumer unit is not something the majority of DIY people could do or should be attempting.

A new consumer unit on old wiring is certainly possible. 32 year old wiring could be perfectly fine, totally ruined or anywhere in between.

Assuuming it is 32 year old wiring in good condition, then I don't see why not.

I'll probably get the consumer unit replaced when I get the final safety check done (unless I find anything). It was last checked about 20 years ago when I had the plumbing strapped.

Also, are bathroom pull switches still used? My step-son's new build in Leeds has the bathroom switches on the wall out in the hall (very inconvenient). I shall be extending the small bathroom when I remove the airing cupboard and water cylinder. I'll need to move the pull switch.

Yes, pull switches are fine. They seem to have gone out of vogue a bit these days, but nothing wrong with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back