Lighting Wires, which way round please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. I'm not an electrician and not too confident with electrics but thought replacing a crumbling old bayonet light fitting would be simple, but I have a suspicion it may have been connected the wrong way round which is leaving me unsure to proceed with connecting the new LED one. Any advice would be so helpful.

This is the original wiring of the crumbling bayonet light fixture before I removed it:

Step 1 - I disconnected the unwanted bayonet light (the bottom 2 wires in the photo above)
Step 2 - I noted in that photo (above) that the blue wire from the old bayonet light attached to the left hand connector.
Step 3 - I used a voltage tester screwdriver to test if the left or the right hand connector lit the screwdriver up (when the light switch was turned on). Only the LEFT hand connector lit the screwdriver up, the one the old BLUE wire connected to.

So my question are: If the screwdriver lit up only when i touched the LEFT hand connector then what colour wire from a light should go to it? In the OLD light that i removed the blue wire went to that LEFT hand connector. Was that connected the wrong way round because I'm assuming the brown wire should go to the connector that lights up the screwdriver? Am i assuming correctly? The old light was a bayonet one and so perhaps the wiring way round didn't matter? The new light i want to put in is a modern LED type, and also has blue and brown wires.

Thank you

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_114327.jpg
    IMG_20211021_114327.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
the left hand connection will be the switched live and the right hand the neutral. so strictly speaking the light was connected the "wrong " way round but as you said it was a bayonet connection so doesnt really matter. if you are fitting a new light connect the brown to the left and the blue to the right.

the left hand connection will be the switched live and the right hand the neutral. so strictly speaking the light was connected the "wrong " way round but as you said it was a bayonet connection so doesnt really matter. if you are fitting a new light connect the brown to the left and the blue to the right.
Hello mate.

Thanks so much for your advice. It's valued.

I had a feeling i was right but wasn't sure and needed to know from someone who knows their stuff.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back