lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help, I am trying to wire in two 3 rose hanging pendants, I have managed to hang one from the first ceiling rose (the one with one three core cable going into it), but am stuck on the other one which is in a loop in system which has three three core cables running into the ceiling rose, both pendants have three live and three neutral wires in them but one earth wire, both lights are operated via one switch, but am having to use chocblocks to connect, any help appreciated, thank you

Sponsored Links
What exactly do you want to know?

You will copy the existing wiring. You can use connector blocks, though they should be enclosed with a non-combustible enclosure of some form.

Have you made a note of how the wires are connected?

what I need to know is in the current rose base there is a loop terminal strip, so do I just attach all three live wires from the three incoming wires to the three wires in the pendants via the connecting blocks

what I need to know is in the current rose base there is a loop terminal strip, so do I just attach all three live wires from the three incoming wires to the three wires in the pendants via the connecting blocks
I'm afraid your description of what you have at the moment and what you want to achieve is very confusing.
Have you looked at wiki under lighting?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting
bottom of page diagram.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the rose consists of permanent live, switched live and neutral.

The centre terminal will be the permanent lives. You will see these are not connected directly to the lampholder. Therefore you can connect these all together in a connector block on their own, NOT connected to the light fitting.

Then there are wires connected to the lampholder flex.

If the lampholder flex is brown and blue, the wires connected to the brown flex should be the switched live. These go to the live of the light fitting. The wires going to the blue flex are the neutrals and these go to the neutral of the light fitting.

Earths go to the earth terminal.

If you have disconnected the ceiling wires without making a note, then the above won't be of much use to you and you will have a job on your hands.

Make sure the power is off before you start work.

Each pendant has three live wires and three neutral wires going in, the ceiling rose base which needs removing has four live wires, four neutral wires and four earth wires coming into it through the ceiling, would it b easier if I posted pictures?

The 4 cables from the ceiling cannot simply be joined together colour to colour.

Look at the last diagram on the link given to you. 2 lights controlled by one switch.

There will be two cables consisting of permanent live and neutral.

One cable will go to the second light, consisting of switched live and neutral.

One cable will go to the switch. There is no neutral in this. It consists of permanent live and switched live. You ignore the neutral colour of the wire - it should have a red or brown sleeve on it to indicate it is live.

As for the three live wires and the three neutral wires on your new fitting, these simply get bunched together as switched live in one terminal, and neutral in another terminal.

By all means send photos.

Have you disconnected the ceiling wiring yet? You must make a note of where the wires go first.

Yes have seen the diagram, have not disconnected the wires from rose yet, would the fourth live and neutral coming through the ceiling suggest a configuration of both wall and ceiling lights or a single pendant one end and a light and fan unit the other end of room

I'll repeat it all.

Put all the browns of your new fitting into one end of a connector (L). Put all the blues into one end of another connector (N). Put the earth in another connector (E).

Look at your ceiling rose picture. On the left there is a red and a black in the lefthand terminal. Put these two wires into the empty end of the L terminal of the light.

On the right there are three blacks. Put these in the empty end of the N terminal of the light.

In the middle there are three reds. Put these together in a separate connector block on their own.

Connect all the earths into the E terminal of the light.

I prefer to wrap insulation tape round the connectors.

Ok thank you, so there is no need to trace where this fourth wire is going to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back