lilon battery in nimh tool.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was pondering the reason a lilion battry wont work in a nimh tool, now i know the fittings are different but i mean in principal.
I have heard that Milwalky li-ion batterys can be retro fitted.

I have Makita 14.4v tools, they are great. but why hasn't some boffin invented an adaptor so i can plug a li-ion battry in and if they have can you tell me?

Sponsored Links
its done to get money out off you
ryobi and dewalt are forward and backwards compatable
the only thing that needs to be updated is the charger as the old chargers dont charge new batteries

thanks Big-all.
I saw an adapter for a dewalt nicd that enables it to accept ryoby Li-Lion.
but i havn't seen anything for a Makita.

Sponsored Links
yes its a purchase of a charger instead of a three drills an angle grinder, circular and a jigsaw.
if i could keep the drills but upgrade the batteries i would be a happy man.

On a slight tangent I know but I have a friend who wires up an old 12volt makita drill to a car battery and uses that quite effectively, a sort of semi corded cordless :)

Lol, he's not Polish is he? I used to work with 2 poles for a company in Burton, 1 of them worked in stores a lot and was a sparky by trade albeit Polish regs and he never threw owt away and had cordless tools wired up to allsorts :LOL:

No definately not Polish. Although he is a Yorkshireman, and the old saying goes that a Yorkshireman is only a Scot with the generosity knocked out of him :D

well i found lilion batteries that fit my mikita 14.4 v NiMH tools. I could do with replacing two of my six batteries so i will keep you posted of any problems.
I have to have a new charger but it seems to actually work out cheaper than buying two NiMH batteries;

will 1400 mah be enough power for my drills and screw driver?
I currently use 2.2 and2.6 nimh

well i found lilion batteries that fit my mikita 14.4 v NiMH tools. I could do with replacing two of my six batteries so i will keep you posted of any problems.
I have to have a new charger but it seems to actually work out cheaper than buying two NiMH batteries;

will 1400 mah be enough power for my drills and screw driver?
I currently use 2.2 and2.6 nimh

"powerfull enough" is the wrong choice off words you are talking about the "fuel tank " when you say 1.4/2.2/2.6 ah you dont get any more power just longer running time

just be aware buying batteries from e bay these will fit your drill and old charger but you wont have the circutry to protect the the battery or charger
in general its not a good idea to charge a battery with a charger not set up for the type off battery

higher the number greater the capacity 1.3 minimum--3.0 maximum
although because you can part charge a li-ion you will probably get 40% more out off it if you put it on charge when ever you have a spare 10 mins

so will a 1.4 lilion give a longer run time than 2.6 nimh?

No, a general rule of thumb is that you'll get the same run time out of 75% of a Liion battery against Nickel- for instance a 1.5Ah Liion will last for around the same time as a 2.0ah NiCD / NiMH.

You will also get a slight increase in power from a higher Ah Liion battery, but not so much that you would really notice. As big-all says the Ah is more about the run time you'll get out of the machine, and with Liion this is enhanced by being able to charge the batteries whenever you want, and for however long you want.

Just another thought to consider - are your existing tools still under warranty, as using non-genuine batteries / adaptors etc could give them a reason to wriggle out of a repair claim.

Can't remember the last time i charged my dewalt li-on nano batteries, i honestly can't but they just keep on going, and the cool thing is i can use the batts in all my other older ni-cad tools.

Li-on is tops :D

I'd love the Makita LXT range of cordless power tools. My mates lad has a set and they are the dog's danglies.
Just thought about inventing an adaptor so the LiOn batteries would fit my Makita Combi drill and Impact driver. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Couldn't see Makita being too happy though. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back