Limescale brown toilet stains UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone effectively got rid of that brown limescale stain in pan of toilet. I heard that 'baking soda' in the USA with bleach can do it. Only problem is you can't get baking soda in the UK, any alternatives?

Sponsored Links
Not sure to be honest, I don't work or live in a hard water area so never had to find a solution to that.

I'd make up the strongest mix as described on the packet, plunge the toilet to push out most of the water and then add the mix and leave it for a while and keep checking it and see how that goes. I presume normal limescale cleaners don't lift it?

Sponsored Links
Not sure to be honest, I don't work or live in a hard water area so never had to find a solution to that.

I'd make up the strongest mix as described on the packet, plunge the toilet to push out most of the water and then add the mix and leave it for a while and keep checking it and see how that goes. I presume normal limescale cleaners don't lift it?

Limmescale lifters, which type? I use the duck ones from Asda, is that what you mean?

Thanks

If it is really bad then there is a product called Acidwash 80. You scrub it on and wash it away quickly wearing gloves and glasses in a well ventilated room.

Be careful mixing different substances. Mixing bleach with acid cleaners can release toxic chlorine gas.

So obviously you have to scrub with a brush?
Is the stain under the water or just down the back of the pan? Either way, a normal toilet limescale remover should do the job. You just squirt it on to the area where the limescale is and leave it for a few hours to do the job. Then flush, allow that area to dry out and repeat.

I heard that 'baking soda' in the USA with bleach can do it.

nonsense

mixing chemicals can produce an attractive fizz

but it is just the two chemicals neutralising each other

so neither works.

It also produces other chemicals and gases, some of them poisonous.

the strong Harpic cleaner in the black bottle is quite good. Vigorous brushing with the cleaner get better results

below the waterline, they also sell tablets in a black box that you throw in and they work overnight.

if the glaze is roughened and eroded then replacement of the pan may be your only solution. A new WC by a reputablr UK maker need not be as expensive as you think.

Budget unbranded imports often have an unsatisfactory flush.

Do you have personal experience/evidence that they work in a toilet?
No, but it is worth a try. Products with bleach will just bleach the limescale and make it look clean, but the limescale will stay. Denture tablets are another option, but just thought you'd be more likely to have dishwasher tablets than denture tablets in the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back