Limescale brown toilet stains UK

Remove water.
Then. Spirit of salt. The most brutal toxic stuff I've had the misfortune to use, but blimey it eats crap like that for breakfast. We use it for cleaning limescale off the toilet bowl (where one had a long slow drip that went unnoticed - domestic stuff didn't touch it).
Gloves, googles and hold your breath :)
https://amzn.to/3q4JYHU

Sponsored Links
When I went back into my own workshop after a lengthy period of renting it out, the toilet had never seen any cleaner in it. I was about to chuck it out and get a new one. I thought i'd have just one half hearted attempt at cleaning it so I bought some limescale remover from the pound shop and it brought it up like a new one.

My two toilet pans are perfectly clean, but some while ago I noticed a brown stain appearing along the lower edge of the rim, in front of where the flush water appears - the downstairs one for some reason worse than the upstairs one. My first attempt at cleaning it was to stick bleach soaked toilet tissue over it and leave it over night. It made no difference at all. My rather idle second attempt was with a flat ended screwdriver, I was fitting a new shower at the time and that made an obvious impression on the stain and gave me an idea for the third attempt....

I then tried a course stainless steel scouring pad, which we keep for cleaning pans etc.. They worked perfectly.

Sponsored Links
Be careful mixing different substances. Mixing bleach with acid cleaners can release toxic chlorine gas.

My mate had a slow draining shower so he bought some stuff to pour down it. He thought he’d do it when he came home from the pub and his wife was in bed. Unfortunately, she did the same thing with a different product before going to bed. Neither of them told each other of their plans. He came home, put the stuff down, a "load of smoke" billowed up and gassed him. He just about woke his wife and had to be taken to hospital for treatment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back