Lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

new to the forum so hopefully someone can help.

recently put 1200 lining paper up, horizontally, and there are very small gaps between sheets, less than 1mm.

I will be papering over the lining paper, do I need to fill in these gaps so they don’t show through?

many thanks,

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Welcome. I'm no expert but I filled the gaps in my lining paper as I was just painting the wall. It wasn’t particularly hard to do. Remember, like car spraying, a lot of work in decorating is in the preparation and if you paper over it and can see the joins below, you’ll kick yourself!

Thanks.

I’ve read so many contradictory things it’s difficult to know what to do!

As you say, don’t want to cut corners if the end result is rubbish!

Just run some filler in the gap with a spreader and give it a light sanding when it’s gone off.

Sponsored Links
Easyfill is very easy to sand. Use a plasterers trowel/float if you have one to put it on thinly - just to fill the gap. Final light sand with 120 grit.

Thanks again. As the gaps are very small and you can’t feel them when you rub your hand over the paper, is filling them still advisable?

I’ve no previous experience of using lining paper so not sure how easily the wallpaper on top will cover these gaps.

If the gap is that small you probably don’t need to fill them.
Your aim will be to make sure the joints between drops don’t match up with the lining paper. But as you’ve lined horizontally you shouldn’t have that prob.

Just aim for no gaps in the vertical paper ;)

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. The gaps are basically the same width as the markers on the tape measure so less than 1mm.

Your aim will be to make sure the joints between drops don’t match up with the lining paper. But as you’ve lined horizontally you shouldn’t have that prob.
Unless you hang the wallpaper horizontally, too!:sneaky:

I've always hung lining paper vertically, I know it's not the prescribed way of doing it, bit I just offset the first drop half a roll width then over paper. I know full well it's not supposed to be the way to do it, but I've never had and issue and it's a lot easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back