Linking two buildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my regular clients has asked me to connect a studio in the garden to the main house broadband, I have seen wireless bridges in schools etc and was thinking of using this set up.

The buildings are 30m apart in line of sight, has anyone got a recommendation for some decent kit

Sponsored Links
I would run a cable from the current broadband router in the house to the studio. Wireless repeaters will never beat hard wired for reliability and speed.

Is there conduit that feeds the power that it could be pulled through?

I have made a bridge by flashing firmware on a dlink router before, the service I got through it was no where near as good as the hard wired connection. As long as you explain and customer understands this then just go to amazon and search wireless bridge there are plenty to choose from.

Sponsored Links
Client does not want cable across landscaped garden
Then maybe under the landscaped garden, it is after all a small cable with 5 volts maximum ( or maybe +/- 25 volts ) relative to ground so protection does not have to be based on safety.

A wireless link may work when first installed and then become un-reliable / non functional at a later date when other wireless linked equipment is installed in neighbouring properties.

Case history := A 20 metre long telemetry link across a stream worked perfectly for several years. Then suddenly it became very un-reliable. A baby monitor was the reason. Replaced by infra red communication link. So far still working, not commercially available equipment and certainly not a cheap option.

Not possible to cross the garden with cable, property is detached and remote from others

I bought a Lidi repeater, this has many options, can be hard wired in, or hard wired out, or both wifi in and out, I use hard wired in and it is in the living room at back of house, the router is in a bedroom at front of house, I get good WiFi signals in the detached garage at rear it may be if the repeater is at last place before the garden it will reach, and with a switchable device like the Lidi one if one method does not work, then you can try another.

The EnGenius Technologies EnStatiuon5-AC 5 GHz is capable of operating up to 5 miles or 8000 metres point to point.

Operating over a 30 metre point to point it is likely that the receiver would be overloaded by the received signal and thus fail to correctly demodulate the data being received.

If the transmitter power could be reduced then it probably would work Reducing TX power by a factor of ( 8000 /30 )² and it would probably still work. Or replace the dish aerials with dummy loads. ( if possible without invalidating the type approval and/or contravening OfCom regulations )

If the building has power - I'd look at tp-link-av2000 range. You should get something between 100-400mbps which wont be that much slower than some cat5 over the same distance.

The buildings are separately metered, and power link has been tried before

After reading the above and the obstacles in your way (spearate meter hence no Powerlink, user doesnt want a cable running between the two buildings) then I would suggest a cable wireless access point within the main building and position the AP on the closest boundary to the remote building and then you will find a local AP repeater in the remote building will pick up the signal and give the users a stable SSID to use when on that site.

In our kitchen we have a TPLINK EAP110 on the wall above the doors out into the garden (looks like a smoke detector to give an idea of size). We also have a garden building about 15-20m away and I get full strength on my laptop, mobile handset and CCTV camera. I have even walked the access path to the rear of our garden which is another 30-40m away and still get signal although a little intermittent.

As long as you have something cabled (ethernet) inside the main house up to the exterior wall then I dont see why you shouldnt pick that signal up from the garden office / out building.

*Forgot to mention, the TPLINK EAP110 is being run POE but you can include a power injector on the ethernet run if your switch doesnt have POE ports.

Sounds promising, ethernet cable within the house is tricky but I can run an external cat5 over a flat roof

My main concern is the receiving end, the walls are almost one metre thick, so a receiving unit outside is a must I reckon

Sponsored Links
Back