Linking two buildings

1m thick of what? Concrete!!! Is it an old bunker? If that is the case then your client is being unreasonable to expect a wireless signal to be sufficient and their opposition to running ethernet cable to site is headstrong and illogical.

As others have stated, an ethernet cable in some small trunking/conduit buried is the only way to ensure a reliable connection in what appears to be evolving circumstances. I have run cable inside and outside of listed buildings in some of the most difficult circumstances so maybe there needs to be a compromise with your client.

Sponsored Links
They are old farm buildings built from stone, to be fair my client does not expect a wireless signal to work they asked me what the options are, running a cable underground would involve excavating limestone pavement, which may or may not be protected as it is in an national park. As I said earlier I saw this set up at a factory linking two buildings https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071XDRHQM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1 and the owners are very pleased with it, but as I am not Au Fait with Wi FI gizmos I am asking for help and advice

Have worked with companies in London who have used those type of high gain antennas on tall buildings for line of sight connectivity and they are effective over distance but sometimes you can have these devices too close to each other and they become unpredictable.

Looking at the environment that I am using the TPLINK EAP110 access point then from the rear of the house where it is located through to the front of the property which is approximately 40-50m then the signal is going through approximately 100cm of good old brick walls (house built in 1902) and the signal loss is approximately 30%. That is using dual 5dB antennas. I am aware though that the signal will leak through any opening possible such as doorways etc therefore not 100% the same as a single solid wall.The Engenius antenna you have listed quotes a 19dB antenna however this doesnt necessarily mean your transmit power is any better than the dual 5dB that I have. The transmit power will define how far the signal will carry in light of obstacles; so you might have a device with a great aerial but poor transmit power so within clear line of site the signal strength is excellent but once it has to get through anything dense or reflective then the signal quickly drops off. The only way they would be worthwhile if you use in pairs with clear line of site and then use Ethernet cabling on eaither side of the bridge; in the outbuilding that would be to a switch and then an AP inside the building.

The only install I can relate your install to is one in a historic town where we used cable and put it in 20mm black conduit and it was saddle clipped to a solid wall. Some areas were covered with lattice and planting of shrubbery. Even with a 100m run and using possibly not the most direct route to the secondary site we ensured that a cable run was possible.

Another thing to consider when running a closed end to end solution with third party hardware is the probability of having to license their software and also that it will only work inconjunction with their switches etc. A single item of hardware may look attractive however when factored into a larger solution then the costs are prohibitive. I have fallen foul of that with DLINK before now.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Back