Lintel for garage door opening....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What type of lintel is typically used above a garage door opening? In my case, its only carrying 2 or 3 courses of brick and the front of a small monopitch roof.

Sponsored Links
3 meters. On the plans, it just shows fascia boards..... but I'd prefer 3 courses of bricks...... plus, it will give me something to fix wall plate to. Would an L11 angle iron do, and just have it single skin above the garage door, or would I need to carry the cavity wall across the front.

Last edited:
I was going to say "The one that's specified on the plans". :rolleyes:

Tip. It's a cavity wall.

Sponsored Links
So a Catnic then? The plans are ****e, but I think it shows at Catnic....

20220123_201127.jpg

I cant imagine its taking much weight..... its only a few rows of roof tiles for a small monopitch roof.....

20220123_231657.jpg

The bit marked 300.... I think would be better in brick rather than fascia boards....

20220123_231553.jpg

A single leaf lintel looks like what is required there, with the outer leaf void dealt with via cradling, fascia/soffit etc. Be aware though - if you alter that design in any way (shallower roof pitch, raised wall plate etc) and require an external course, then fit a double leaf cavity lintel.
We always assess and make a decision accordingly. You can fit a double leaf fella regardless, but the outer bearing leaf steel can be a pain to work around, when forming the soffit etc.

Thanks Noseall. What's 'Cradling'?
Aka bodging and making your life harder.

If you use a single leaf lintel on the inside, you need something else (normally another single leaf tray lintel) on the outer leaf to cover the gap above the frame, and support the soffit noggins/frame.

If you use a single leaf lintel on the inside, you need something else (normally another single leaf tray lintel) on the outer leaf to cover the gap above the frame, and support the soffit noggins/frame.
No you do not.
There is no need for pointless lintel masonry support .
It's very easy to build the soffit back to the frame using a horizontal timber and noggs fixed to the rafter ends. The outer steel lintel tray will just be in the way and support nothing. Please don't tell me how to build a roof, you are truly clueless.

Last edited:
No you do not.
There is no need for pointless lintel masonry support .
It's very easy to build the soffit back to the frame using a horizontal timber and noggs fixed to the rafter ends. The outer steel lintel tray will just be in the way and support nothing. Please don't tell me how to build a roof, you are truly clueless.
Where's one of your wonderful pictures of this exact arrangement when you need one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back