Lintel for garage door opening....

Sponsored Links
Where's one of your wonderful pictures of this exact arrangement when you need one?
We usually fit a timber across the opening. A double up 4x2 sideways so that it's width spans above the window/door/opening and has enough meat left to cradle the soffit (10mm ply).
We then connect timbers down from the rafter ends onto this broad timber.
It's just a matter then of allowing the ply soffit to travel into the recess. A pointless lintel leaf would interfere with this.
I'll do a sketch later (y)

Where's one of your wonderful pictures of this exact arrangement when you need one?
The bit that dives into and above the openings differs little from the rest of the soffit cradling other than there are horizontal timbers included above the soffit to assist with any window vertical fixings required.

Sponsored Links
Or you can just put one lintel on :rolleyes:

Remind me what is going to hold up the 3 course between the frame head and the soffit?

Or you can just put one lintel
IT..WILL..BE..IN..THE..WAY...

I will repeat: There is no need for external leaf lintel support if the soffit finishes level with the heads of the frames.
Any masonry yes fit a cavity or twin skin lintel. I thought you were bright Woods

IT..WILL..BE..IN..THE..WAY...

I will repeat: There is no need for external leaf lintel support if the soffit finishes level with the heads of the frames.
Any masonry yes fit a cavity or twin skin lintel. I thought you were bright Woods
You've not looked at the drawing then. That's not bright. :rolleyes:

Nether have you. They are showing framing above the garage doors.
Specsavers are open. No need to apologise.
The thing is, your drawing does not match the OPs situation and wont work.

The OP said he wants 3 course of bricks above the garage frame, and I would suggest that he does not want some poxy shiplap on a frame

The thing is, your drawing does not match the OPs situation and wont work.

The OP said he wants 3 course of bricks above the garage frame, and I would suggest that he does not want some poxy shiplap on a frame
Tell that to his architect. Humble pie anyone?

So the solution is a single cavity lintel, what could be simpler?
I'd be inclined to keep my options open height wise, especially if the opening height is showing as only say 6'-6".
7' or even 7'-6" is better.
But Yes, any external masonry, even if it is just one course, requires a cavity lintel.

The bit marked 300.... I think would be better in brick rather than fascia boards....
Possibly.

As long as you are certain of your garage frame height. What you have to remember is that a garage door frame header rarely works in metric courses. Be sure to set the height accordingly and not too low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back