Lintel issues for new patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have been planning to replace a current window (3m wide) and replacing this with patio doors. There is no lintel above the window currently so needed to install one.

Over the weekend I removed a couple of the soldier course bricks to confirm there is no lintel. However the internal lintel is larger than expected and goes into the cavity and into the area I would need to put my new lintel. This concrete lintel is roughly 250/300mm thick. It looks like to ensure the soldier course bricks are flush with rest of the house, the bricks have been cut down. I have a Catnic single leaf angle lintel and the toe is 91mm. The distance from the internal lintel to front of bricks is 90mm.

One idea suggested to me is to drill into the concrete lintel and attach an steel angle which would act as the external lintel. Other suggestion was to modify the toe off the Catnic lintel to suit the dimension required.

any suggestions or help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• lintel.jpg
    lintel.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
I would use the catnic - the pointing of the bed below the bricks will be able hide a few mm of projection. Don't trim the steel lintel, it will go horrendously rusty and don't try to drill the concrete lintel.

Looks like you are making a pile of work for yourself, what was wrong with leaving it alone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back