Lintel(s) [and technique] - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3.6 m x 3.6 m single storey outbuilding, and am planning on installing 2 x 2.5M sliding patio doors in the north and east walls.

The wall construction is cavity wall (brick outer, aircrete block inner. The aircreate block skin has a single course of bricks on it at the very top. [I'm not sure why ?]).

The roor joists run north to south, so the north facing wall is load bearing, whilst the east facing outer skin has the relevant joist sat on top of it.

I am wondering what the best solution for lintels would be.

I obviously definately need lintel(s) on north side (as it's load bearing).

Would I need lintel(s) on the east side ?

Also - I googled "Lintels - Cavity Wall", and there appear to be many variations on a theme for single-piece lintels (such as these :- Cavity Wall 110-125mm - Lintels ..obviously mine would need to be 2.5m + ).

However - I struggle to visualise how I could fit these, as the walls are all pre-existing. Would it be better to fit (for example) lintels on the outer and inner skin ? If so - I'm guessing these would be stell ? (as Pre-stressed concrete ones seem to only be available in 1.8m) ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back