live/neutral reverse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I tested all my sockets this weekend with one of those plug in testers. All my kitchen sockets are showing up as L/N reverse. I checked behind one of the socket plates and the wires are connected to the wrong terminal - I'm assuming all the others are the same.
THe sockets are doubles and the wires have been cut very short so they will not reach over to the correct terminals.
I've been using the sockets everyday since I've been in this house with no problems (if I take the phone into the kitchen i get a huge amount of interference - not sure if this is related??)
How much of a problem is this, and what's the best way of dealing with this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
its dangerous. all switches will be in the neutral side, meaning even if switched off and apparantly 'dead', its still live. best call a sparky and get a periodic inspection report done. there is a good chance of other faults you havent noticed

Not to forget an actual L-E fault in an appliance will require the circuit fuse (30/32A?) to interrupt the supply as the plugtop fuse is in effect in the neutral.

Spark123 said:
Not to forget a L-E fault in an appliance will require the circuit fuse (30/32A?) to interrupt the supply as the plugtop fuse is in effect in the neutral.

i wouldnt be surprised if the CU end is bodged aswell...

plug fuse WILL still blow in a fault, BUT itll still be live (be 'off') (but only if live-neutral fault or overload)

Sponsored Links
My point being the plugtop fuse is in the neutral so it cannot interrupt a live to earth fault...

Spark123 said:
My point being the plugtop fuse is in the neutral so it cannot interrupt a live to earth fault...

good point. for some reason i was thinkin overload/live-neutral

thanks guys - you've confused me now though!
I guess that's a good indication that I can't fix this myself and I need to call an electrician in.

Kat74 said:
thanks guys - you've confused me now though!
I guess that's a good indication that I can't fix this myself and I need to call an electrician in.

if its just the sockets mis-wired, you can change it yourself. BUT if he managed to do this so wrong, there could be other faults that your not aware of/dont have proper equipment/knowledge to uncover

Hi andy,
I'm normally happy enough to change sockets, but when I took one of these ones off to have a look the wires had been cut quite short so they won't reach over to the correct terminal.
I was planning on having my electrics checked over in the next couple of months anyway as I want some more power points putting in other rooms.
Is there a safe/simple way of extending the wires, or am I best to get the professional in now to do it?

The best way to extend the cables in the back box is to use crimp connectors. You will however need a tool to use them either ratchet (expensive) or non-ratchet (much cheaper). They take up less room than choc block connectors and also clamp the insulation.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101864&ts=55515&id=75317

If your sockets have reversed polarity, you need to get it sorted out sooner rather than later.

Less hassle is to buy sockets that have the terminals in the correct position for your short conductors ie if your neutral conductors are on the left and the live conductors are on the right, buy sockets with that terminal layout.

Spark123 said:
Not to forget an actual L-E fault in an appliance will require the circuit fuse (30/32A?) to interrupt the supply as the plugtop fuse is in effect in the neutral.
OFC if there is an RCD then it will disconnect a L-E fault before anything else does anyway so this isn't quite so serious if there is one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back