live to work or work to live?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was playing golf wiv me bro' the other day and he said he hates work.

ok, so he has a high paid job with high pressures.

but he chose it! the money is good but so is the pressure.

i replied by saying i actually enjoy my job. he just stared at me thinking i was mad, but said, "well it's because you are self-employed".

i like to keep busy and would probably still do something even if i won the big one.

so, is it possible to be miserable for most of your life? are people so unhappy at work? why put up with it?

Sponsored Links
I don't agree that someone can hate their job. If they really don't like it then why are they doing it?

I love all things building, if I'm not looking at them, I'm designing them, if not that then I'm building them, and if not that then I'm talking about them. :oops:

And for me, money is not a motivator at all - something which family and other people are always telling me off about. In that respect I am a crapp businessman.

Well done you've passed the life test ... We are in the minority, though ... Most people chase £'s all their lives and then die before they get a chance to spend them ;)

MW

Sponsored Links
I think it's as much to do with doing something that you really want to be doing, rather than something that just pays the bills.

I'm lucky in that, since a very young age, I always wanted to be an SE, and, with a few detours here and there, I got to be one; so for me it's not a chore. Like Woodster, the whole process of construction and the materials used fascinates me and I can spend may happy hours looking at building sites when on holiday. And it pays ok too, so win-win.

God knows how people work in factories, doing the same thing, seeing the same people, day in, day out.

Indeed you are in the minority, I'm self employed, but still hated many of my jobs.

Why do I do it? Well used to love my job, but don't like it anymore. Wage slave and earn too much to change, and have no other skills. A very familiar refrain I'm afraid.

And for me, money is not a motivator at all - something which family and other people are always telling me off about. In that respect I am a crapp businessman.

i too have the potential to earn more but choose not to.

money can be the killer.

there is an earning comfort zone tuned to each of our abilities and tolerances.

push the boundaries and you will end up miserable but wealthier.

if a genie appeared and granted me any wishes, the first would be health and happiness for me and my family.

aaaaah. :rolleyes: :LOL:

true though.:cool:

Trouble is you can be forced down the taking more responsibility route. For instance I can't apply for less senior roles as I won't be taken seriously. Treadmill yeah.... I know.

work is an ends to a means.
too much work means you end up working your life away.
when you finally wake up like i did 7 years ago when my wife died.

then you find its all gone behind you, and its too late.

I would rather work to live, but I think the way that the economy is going we will all soon be living to work. Whether we like it or not! :( :(

what constitutes a good job?

one that is well paid.

one that is easy to do.

one that is difficult.

a gynaecologist maybe?:cool: a taster for a food products company?

i have never done anything other than be a builder so i have no idea what it is like to do anything else.
i couldn't imagine the monotony of factory work though. :(

a gynaecologist maybe?:cool: a taster for a food products company?

Reminds me of that old joke. What's a gynaecologist got in common with a pizza delivery boy?...............They can both smell it, but they're not allowed to taste it!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i was playing golf wiv me bro' the other day and he said he hates work.

ok, so he has a high paid job with high pressures.

but he chose it! the money is good but so is the pressure.

i replied by saying i actually enjoy my job. he just stared at me thinking i was mad, but said, "well it's because you are self-employed".

i like to keep busy and would probably still do something even if i won the big one.

so, is it possible to be miserable for most of your life? are people so unhappy at work? why put up with it?

I totally agree as I started doing plumbing when I joined the navy back in July 1965 and liked working with the high pressure super heated steam 1,500 PSI and all the related equipment

I am now in a position to work when I feel like it and turn down more jobs then I accept as money is no longer a concern.

After 43 years working I still enjoy the fact no two jobs are ever the same and its a constant challenge.

Just two months ago I treated myself to another Ford E 350 extended 138" WB super heavy duty body van just for drainage work .

I was asked my times if I hit the jack pot would I retire I said I did retire once when I was 40 and after a few weeks decided to get back into the field working as I am actually getting paid for something I would do for fun .

One should choose a career in something the love to do or they will have a miserable life money is not all that should be considered when choosing a career.

If you like what your doing the money will come pouring in inevitably

Sponsored Links
Back